Audio By Carbonatix
Liberty Professionals have announced they would not be participating in the CAF Confederation Cup next year after carefully analysing club finances.
Alhaji Sly Tetteh told Joy Sports it would not make economic sense to pursue the continental competition hence the decision to opt out.
Sly Tetteh, club founder said the club initially thought of participating but other issues such as match venues for the games and the cost involved in shuttling between Accra and available venues wound compound the club’s financial needs.
Liberty first participated in the Confederation Cup in 2004 but bowed out at the knockout stage, having previously been punished with suspension by CAF for withdrawing late from the competition after the draws had been announced.
On Tuesday Accra Hearts of Oak announced they had pulled out of the same Confederations Cup competition following what the club said was an unfortunate decision by the Professional League Board and Ghana Football Association decided to register them for the Confederations Cup instead of their preferred choice, the Champions League.
A statement signed by Mr Thomas Okine, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the club said the club had no alternative than to pull out after the GFA decided to go ahead with decisions agreed on at the July 2006 Congress, which stated that the first two clubs on the league table as at November 30, 2006, would be entered for the CAF Champions League, whilst the third and fourth go for the Confederations Cup.
Hearts as at November 30 were third on the table behind Kotoko and Ashantigold.
Rather than go for the Confederation Cup, Hearts are to concentrate on repackaging the team and re-strategizing for future continental games as well as concentrate on the remaining matches of the 2006/07 league with the limited resources available to ensure a place in the 2008 Champions League slot come April 2007.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
I’ve spent 2 days in SWAT unit; it’s not a place anyone should be – Bullgod
29 seconds -
Defamation and rap diss culture in Ghana: A study of Drake vs UMG Recordings Inc.
7 minutes -
Terrorist attack on Ghanaian tomato traders in Burkina Faso prompts national security reset in Ghana
8 minutes -
NDC insists EC heads must go despite petition dismissal
9 minutes -
Nana Agyei Baffour Awuah calls for law to standardise prima facie cases
25 minutes -
Cocoa Farmers in Western North demonstrate over price cut
28 minutes -
Australian presenter apologises for drinking before slurred Olympics report
36 minutes -
Let history record it right: Name the Radio Univers newsroom after Dr Alhaji Abubakari Sidick Ahmed
41 minutes -
I’m a traditionalist and herbalist – Kwaw Kese
1 hour -
Police crack down on wanted robbery gang in Ashanti Region, 3 suspects arrested
1 hour -
Learn and lead with humility – Chairman of insurance retirees forum advises
1 hour -
Beyond the Cold: Debunking a dangerous myth of pneumonia in Ghana and around the world
1 hour -
Shatta Wale – Stonebwoy brawl at 2019 VGMA: Bullgod details what actually happened
2 hours -
ECOWAS backs full probe into killing of Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso attack
2 hours -
President Mahama signs 24-Hour Economy Authority bill into law
2 hours
