Audio By Carbonatix
There seems to be no end in sight in resolving an impasse between feuding traders claiming a trading space at the Racecourse Market in Kumasi.
A group of yam sellers and dealers in second-hand clothing who have been relocated from the Central market clashed over the land they both claim had been allocated by the city authorities.
Currently, the yam, meat and tomato sellers are occupying the disputed trading space.

Some dealers in second-hand clothing, who claim the area had earlier been allocated to them, stormed the market Wednesday evening to take over.
But they were resisted by the yam sellers.
“We are ever ready to fight them. They have hinted they’ll come here. If they ever come here, it would not be a nice scene, “she warned.

Kumasi Mayor, Osei Assibey Antwi, visited the market on Thursday and assured the traders of ongoing construction to relocate them.
“I’m appealing to the yam sellers to calm down. Three years ago, this market was prepared for the traders. But they all refused to come here. Why the rush now? There are several markets in Kumasi which are empty. Why are you all refusing to go there,” he quizzed?
A spokesperson for the second-hand cloth dealers, Michael Amponsah, says members are not ready to trade in any new location.
He warns of possible chaos if city authorities fail to give them the land.
“We have brought our materials to put up structures. The land belongs to us. We are not moving to any location. My members will fight till we get it, he said

The leader of the yam sellers, Nana Yaa Foriwaa, have also vowed they will not move from the trading area.
“Our association feeds the King and Royals of Asanteman. Has any second-hand clothes dealer donated to the Manhyia Palace? This land belongs to Otumfuo. We are not leaving this place,” she said.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
4 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours