Congestion at the Doctor Mensah Station in Kumasi is leading to an increasing spate of accidents.
Hawking on pavements and parts of streets in the area obstruct vehicular and pedestrian movement.
The obstruction to vehicular movement is a major challenge to motorists as the traders consistently defy orders to leave the unauthorized trading spaces.
The Doctor Mensah Station was originally designed as a lorry terminal. Over the years, hawkers and traders have turned the area into a market.
Traders relocated from the Kumasi Central Market to pave way for the market reconstruction project have refused to move to their new designated markets.
A number of them are occupying pavements and streets. Samuel Opoku, a station master, bemoans the discomfort for drivers.
“The market women have blocked the roads. Our cars are unable to move. Some say they pay taxes to the authorities, hence their unwillingness to relocate,” he complained.
The traders claim the market reconstruction has left them stranded, despite space designated for them at the RaceCourse Market.
“This place is not comfortable nor safe for us. Vehicles knock us down us. But, what can we do? We have no place to stay,” she cried.
Another says “Racecourse market is not the best place for us. The authorities can allot a land to several traders,”
Checks indicate the Doctor Mensah Station is recording incidents of accidents due to the congestion.
“A car run over someone’s foot a few minutes ago. The case is at the police station,” a station master says.
A trader says “If you are not always alert when hawking her, a car may knock you down, Honestly, we know we not supposed to sell here, but there is nowhere to go,”
Currently, there is little space for vehicles and pedestrians to commute. The situation has affected the sales of traders.
“Since morning, I have not made sales. I am not seeing any of my customers,” a trader bemoaned.
A clothes dealer says “Sometimes, I leave here with no sales for the day,”
- Kim Kardashian unveils Usher as the 2024 Super Bowl halftime show headliner
- If you can do these 4 things together, your relationship is going to last
- 5 reasons to stop searching for your soulmate and what to do instead
- Arthur Kobina Kennedy: The people’s movement on the street
- Ghana to leverage on funerals to boost local tourism – Tourism Minister
- Tory Lanez ‘scared for his life’ in prison after Megan Thee Stallion shooting
- Samples from ‘most dangerous known rock in the Solar System’ brought to Earth
- 5 hard-to-talk-about things I wish I knew before agreeing to an open relationship
- NPP National Youth Wing commends government development efforts amid demonstration
- Writers Guild, studios reach tentative deal, potentially ending monthslong strike that ground Hollywood to a halt
- Russian man imprisoned 22 years ago escapes on the day of his release
- 8 people describe the exact moment they knew they found someone worth the risk
- Bankye ampesi reduces risk of colon cancer
- Stop romanticizing the past so you can enjoy your life
- Woman who held 16 jobs simultaneously for three years never actually did any work