Audio By Carbonatix
Maurizio Cattelan's provocative artwork of a banana duct-taped to a wall has fetched $6.2m (£4.9m) at Sotheby's in New York - four times higher than pre-sale estimates.
The auction house says Chinese cryptocurrency entrepreneur Justin Sun outbid six other rivals to get the "Comedian" installation of the Italian visual artist on Wednesday.
"In the coming days, I will personally eat the banana as part of this unique artistic experience," Mr Sun was quoted as saying.
The taped banana - now perhaps one of the most expensive fruits ever sold - was actually bought earlier in the day for a mere $0.35, according to the New York Times.
"Comedian" was first unveiled to the public in 2019, instantly becoming a viral sensation and also provoking heated debates about what art is.
The installation - which has travelled around the world - comes with instructions on how to replace the banana whenever it rots.
In fact, the fruit has been eaten not once, but twice.
The museum later placed a new banana in the same spot, local media reported.
Four years earlier, a performance artist pulled the banana from the wall after the artwork was sold for $120,000 at Art Basel in Miami.
The banana was swiftly replaced, and no further action was taken.
Justin Sun runs the Tron blockchain network, which facilitates some cryptocurrency transactions. Last year the US Securities and Exchange Commission accused him of fraud, saying he had falsely inflated trading volumes of TRX, Tron’s crypto token. Mr Sun denies the charges.
Latest Stories
-
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
8 minutes -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
17 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
18 minutes -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
27 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
27 minutes -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
27 minutes -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
42 minutes -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
1 hour -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
1 hour -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
1 hour -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
2 hours -
Two nationwide blackouts in a space of a month ‘cause for worry’ – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Technical challenges affecting tax payments are being resolved—GRA
2 hours -
Ghana Premier League 2026/27: What to expect from the new season
2 hours -
Academic who accused Jason Arday of plagiarism suspended by university
2 hours