Audio By Carbonatix
A Kenyan court has ordered the exhumation of bodies suspected to belong to people who were starved and suffocated in the same county where hundreds of members of a doomsday cult were found dead two years ago, prosecutors said on Wednesday.
The bodies in the new case are believed to be buried in shallow graves on the outskirts of Malindi in southeastern Kenya's Kilifi County, and 11 suspects are being investigated, Kenya's Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions said on X.
"Investigators suspect multiple individuals were murdered through starvation and suffocation," it said.
"The victims may have been starved and suffocated as a result of adopting and promoting extreme religious ideologies."
More than 400 bodies were exhumed from the nearby Shakahola Forest in 2023 in one of the world's worst cult-related disasters in recent history.
In that case, prosecutors have alleged that cult leader Paul Mackenzie ordered his followers to starve themselves and their children to death so that they could go to heaven before the world ended.
Mackenzie, who faces charges of murder and terrorism, denies the accusations against him.
The prosecutor's office said people in the area of the recently-discovered graves had been unable to account for the whereabouts of several children, leading to suspicion of foul play.
The court ordered the exhumations to be followed by postmortem examinations, DNA testing and toxicological analysis, it said.
In April, Kenyan police also recovered two bodies and rescued 57 people who looked weak and frail from a church in the country's west.
Latest Stories
-
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
11 minutes -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
14 minutes -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
20 minutes -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
37 minutes -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
41 minutes -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
44 minutes -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
49 minutes -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
3 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
3 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
3 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
3 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
3 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
4 hours