Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Roads and Highways, Governs Kwame Agbodza, says less than 20 kilometres of clearing work remains before the Accra-Kumasi Expressway project reaches Kumasi.
He said the project has made significant progress, with only a short stretch left before the expressway links up with the Kumasi Orbiter, also known as the Kumasi Ring Road.
“We have less than 20 kilometres. I’m sure we have maybe around 10, 15 kilometres to hit Kumasi itself,” Mr Agbodza said on Friday.
The Accra-Kumasi Expressway is a flagship road project aimed at improving connectivity between Ghana’s two biggest cities while easing travel and boosting economic activity along the corridor.
Mr Agbodza also credited the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, for his support and guidance on road infrastructure within the Kumasi enclave. He said the Asantehene had previously pushed for the completion of roads in the area to help bring the Sewua Hospital, expected to serve as a regional hospital for Kumasi, into operation.
“Since then, the contractor, Kofi Job, has returned to site and is doing very well,” he said.
According to the Minister, the contractor is close to finishing one section of the work before shifting attention to the other side of the road.
“As we are told, he’s almost done with one leg of the work, and then the one that is to the right-hand side is where he’ll be working on. But we can assure you that he’s going to go ahead and complete the work,” he said.
Mr Agbodza said the outstanding section is close to where the expressway will connect with the Kumasi Orbiter. He thanked the Ghana Armed Forces for supporting the clearing exercise, and again acknowledged the Asantehene’s continued support for road development in the Ashanti Region.
Latest Stories
-
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair: Day 2 ends on high note as patrons enjoy exciting discounts
2 minutes -
Big Push: Upper West MPs inspect N12 works, optimistic improved roads will curb robberies
19 minutes -
India is turning to ancient water systems as modern ones run dry
37 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Anum Presby survive tense battle to deny St. Charles Minor Sem. one-eighth spot
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Heartbreak for OLA SHS as Aburi Presby SHTS deny them one-eighth spot
1 hour -
Laptop catches fire on US flight, with passenger treated at airport
1 hour -
Tano North chiefs tackle police over ‘routine release’ of arrested illegal miners
2 hours -
Accra-Kumasi Expressway almost complete – Roads Minister
2 hours -
ECG announces temporary power outages in parts of Tema and Ashanti Regions
2 hours -
Somalia child hunger crisis deepens after aid cuts, UNICEF says
2 hours -
Media urged to help shape Constituency Games implementation
2 hours -
Accra’s only public horse racing course destroyed at Borteyman
2 hours -
Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Mfantsiman Girls’ bounce back from 2025 prelims exit to book one-eighth spot
3 hours -
Africa’s $9 trillion lithium bonanza: Can Africa turn its mineral wealth into a global economic powerhouse?
3 hours