Audio By Carbonatix
Gunmen have opened fire with machine guns on a bus carrying Togo's football team to the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola, wounding several players.
Officials say the shooting occurred in the Angolan oil-rich territory of Cabinda, where rebels have been fighting for independence.
The Angolan government called the incident an "act of terrorism". There are reports of serious injuries.
Togo is due to play its first game in Cabinda on Monday.
Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor was on the bus but is unhurt. In a statement, Manchester City said Adebayor had been "shaken by the terrible events" but was "unharmed".
The bus was travelling to Cabinda from the squad's training ground in the Republic of Congo when the shooting happened.
"This was an act of terrorism," Cabinda affairs minister Bento Bembe told Reuters news agency.
However Africa Cup of Nations officials described the attackers as armed robbers.
Togo striker Thomas Dossevi told France's RMC radio that several players were "in a bad state".
"We were machine-gunned, like dogs," he said. "At the border with Angola - machine-gunned! I don't know why. I thought it was some rebels. We were under the seats of the bus for 20 minutes, trying to get away from the bullets."
The identities of those injured - who also included team staff - are not known.
Togo are due to play Ghana, Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast in their group matches. Their first game is against Ghana.
Midfielder Alaixys Romao told RMC Togo were now likely to pull out of the 16-nation tournament.
"No-one wants to play," he said. "We're not capable of it.
"We're thinking first of all about the health of our injured because there was a lot of blood on the ground."
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
3 minutes -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
6 minutes -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
10 minutes -
Massive crowd turns out for Brock Royal Family’s Osu Duku Walk
12 minutes -
Aboboyaa Group donates two motorcycles to NACOC Ashanti Command
17 minutes -
Sexual harassment has no place in educational institutions – Education Ministry
23 minutes -
Rev Prof Amevenku elected 15th EPCG Moderator, pledges servant leadership
29 minutes -
Military leaders urged to prepare for emerging security threats
34 minutes -
Ghana to expand pharmaceutical manufacturing capacity – Mahama
40 minutes -
Ghana to hold referendum on proposed constitutional amendments in 2027 – Mahama
47 minutes -
Social clubs must become engines of national development – Ace Ankomah
53 minutes -
GTA closes Elmina Beach Resort, three other facilities over regulatory violations
59 minutes -
Sustained peace will restore Bawku to its former glory – Mahama
1 hour -
15% of maternal mortality deaths in Kumasi are ‘imported’- Health Director
1 hour -
Oil rises as US-Iran peace talks stall, Hormuz shipping slows
1 hour