Audio By Carbonatix
Togo's football team have pulled out of the Africa Cup of Nations following a deadly gun attack on their team bus in Angola.
Two players were shot and injured in the attack in Angola's northern province of Cabinda on Friday and the coach driver was killed.
Organisers say the tournament will go ahead but Togo's players had been discussing whether they would stay.
If the reports are true then Ghana's opening game at the tournament against Togo is off as matches could be reorganised.
Team captain Emmanuel Adebayor said on Friday many players wanted to go home.
The BBC's Russell Fuller in Angola says the head of the Ghanaian Football Association has confirmed to him that the Togolese team have pulled out.
The Togo squad is on its way to the airport to leave the country, he says.
Adebayor, who plays for Manchester City, told the BBC: "I think a lot of players want to leave, I don't think they want to be at this tournament any more because they have seen their death already.
"Most of the players want to go back to their family. No-one can sleep after what they have seen today."
Among the nine people injured were two players, an assistant manager, physio, goalkeeping coach and another coach.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
4 minutes -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
6 minutes -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
11 minutes -
Massive crowd turns out for Brock Royal Family’s Osu Duku Walk
12 minutes -
Aboboyaa Group donates two motorcycles to NACOC Ashanti Command
17 minutes -
Sexual harassment has no place in educational institutions – Education Ministry
24 minutes -
Rev Prof Amevenku elected 15th EPCG Moderator, pledges servant leadership
30 minutes -
Military leaders urged to prepare for emerging security threats
35 minutes -
Ghana to expand pharmaceutical manufacturing capacity – Mahama
41 minutes -
Ghana to hold referendum on proposed constitutional amendments in 2027 – Mahama
48 minutes -
Social clubs must become engines of national development – Ace Ankomah
54 minutes -
GTA closes Elmina Beach Resort, three other facilities over regulatory violations
60 minutes -
Sustained peace will restore Bawku to its former glory – Mahama
1 hour -
15% of maternal mortality deaths in Kumasi are ‘imported’- Health Director
1 hour -
Oil rises as US-Iran peace talks stall, Hormuz shipping slows
1 hour