Audio By Carbonatix
President John Mahama has been formally cleared by the National Democratic Congress vetting committee to begin his campaign towards the presidential primary on November 7.
The President was vetted by the committee Wednesday and will run unopposed.
But President John Mahama must still secure more 50% of votes at the primaries to affirm his status as flagbearer of the NDC in the 2016 general elections.
Johnson Asiedu Nketia, General Secretary of the NDC, told Joy News after the vetting that the committee found President Mahama “qualified to contest” the primaries.
However, the vetting process was only a formality.
The party had earlier sent strong signs that the President is the party’s best choice for December 2016 general elections.
Despite opening nominations for presidential primaries, the NDC national executives warned presidential aspirants to properly assess themselves before challenging the president.
“Facts are facts. If you are coming you have to check yourself,” First National Vice-Chairman, Samuel Ofosu Ampofo, told Joy News.
A 45-year old polling station youth organizer, George Boateng, picked up presidential nomination forms in August to contest Mahama in the November 7 presidential primaries.
However, the NDC refused to authenticate George Boateng’s ambitions and has since moved to quell any speculation that the president will be challenged by the youth organizer.
President Mahama who is seeking a final term submitted his nomination forms last in August amidst fanfare at the party's headquarters in Accra.
Latest Stories
-
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
3 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
4 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
7 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
18 minutes -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
22 minutes -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
32 minutes -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
37 minutes -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
46 minutes -
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
53 minutes -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
1 hour -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
1 hour -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
2 hours -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
2 hours -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
2 hours -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
2 hours