Audio By Carbonatix
The National Democratic Congress Member of Parliament (MP) for Keta Constituency is accusing the Water Resources Ministry of discrimination in the fixing of water challenges in the country.
Richard Quarshiga said contrary to what happened in other areas that faced water challenges, the ministry has failed to implement a medium to long term measure to address the water crisis in Keta area three years on.
The Keta MP disclosed this in an exclusive interview with Joy News’ Elton Brobbey.
On February 26, 2016, Mr Quarshiga told Joy News the danger hanging about the neck of the people in the Keta Constituency due to acute shortage of water.
He listed Anyarko, Kpedji and Kornu as some of the areas that are suffering due to the absence of a portable water.
He said not even his frequent visits to the office of the Ghana Water Company Limited in Ho and Accra could get the people to fix the water challenges. Four months later, the situation is getting worse by the day.
He believes when it comes to addressing the water situation in the constituency, “the ministry hasn’t demonstrated the commitment to really resolve the problem in the area especially at Anyarko.”
He said he gets amazed with the attitude of the water officials because “we’ve had situations in Nsawam where issues came up response was swift.”
According to him, if small water systems could be fitted in Kyebi and other areas in the country, why not Anyarko and it environs.
He refuted claims that the reason the water situation in the region has not been resolved bothered around finance.
“Early last year they [officials of the ministry] came to do a survey and identified where was suitable for drilling a bore hole and that was it,” he bemoaned.
"Funding?" he asked saying if the ministry could arrange for resources to address the water situation in Kyebi, it can do same for the people of Keta.
He also added that if "They could do it swiftly for Nsawam and other areas then, funding should not be an excuse in relation to Anyarko and its environs."
Latest Stories
-
Call off strike, give us one month to resolve payment issues – Education Minister appeals to GAUA
2 hours -
Cagliari’s Trepy in intensive care after pool incident
2 hours -
Chelsea co-owners Boehly & Walter explore selling stakes
2 hours -
GAUA to consult members after talks with Haruna Iddrisu as strike continues
2 hours -
Man Utd will reject any bid for Fernandes
2 hours -
Guardiola-Walker fallout revealed in new documentary
2 hours -
NDC’s interest aligns with the Constitution – Srem-Sai defends push for speedy trials
2 hours -
Man City move for ÂŁ85m Bouaddi and still want Fernandez
3 hours -
Rodri lands in Barcelona to complete ‘dream’ move
3 hours -
Being fast doesn’t mean perverting justice – Srem-Sai challenges critics to prove manipulation
3 hours -
Lawyers can’t decide how cases run – Srem-Sai fires back in vacation court row
3 hours -
Aksa case should ordinarily be handled by OSP, not EOCO – Manhyia South MP
4 hours -
Norway’s king admitted to hospital and put on sick leave
4 hours -
Education Minister engages university administrators over ongoing strike
4 hours -
Technological convergence, disruptive innovation and the future of youth education in Ghana
4 hours