Audio By Carbonatix
The U.S. State Department on Friday said it mistakenly told more than 22,000 people that they had won a special U.S. visa lottery due to a computer glitch, and that the drawing would have to be redone.
The news dashes the hopes of those who believed they were eligible for the next step in obtaining one of the coveted "green card" lottery visas and gives a second, if remote, chance to the rest of the 19.6 million people who had applied.
Because of a computer programing error, 90 percent of the winners were selected from the first two days of applications rather than from the entire 30-day registration period.
"We sincerely regret any inconvenience or disappointment this problem might have caused," David Donahue, the State Department official who oversees the program, told reporters.
He said that the problem had been fixed and the results of the new drawing from among the same 19.6 million people who applied were expected to be available around July 15.
Under the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, the U.S. government makes available some 50,000 visas each year drawn randomly to people who come from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.
The lottery gives the winners the opportunity to immigrate without having a family member or an employer sponsor them -- the typical route to a U.S. "green card" denoting permanent residency.
Donahue said the U.S. government wrote the malfunctioning computer program.
Another U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said no one will be disciplined for the error.
Source: Reuters
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Fire guts Saboba Hospital’s Children Ward
3 hours -
Interior Ministry extends aptitude test dates for WASSCE applicants in 2025/26 security services recruitment
4 hours -
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
4 hours -
Gomoa-East demolition: 14 suspects remanded by Kasoa Ofaakor Court
5 hours -
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
6 hours -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
7 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
7 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
7 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
7 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
7 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
8 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
8 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
8 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
9 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
9 hours
