Audio By Carbonatix
A car bomb attack has struck the UN building in the Nigerian capital Abuja, killing at least three people.
The powerful blast wrecked the bottom floor of the building. Three are confirmed dead at a local hospital and 60 are injured, some critically.
A UN official in Nigeria, who spoke to the BBC on condition of anonymity, said the UN had received information last month that it could be targeted by Islamist group Boko Haram.
Security was stepped up in response.
A car bombing at police headquarters in June was blamed on Boko Haram, a group which wants the establishment of Sharia law in Nigeria.
There has been no claim of responsibility for Friday's attack, but government officials have blamed "terrorists" for the bombing, says the BBC's Bashir Sa'ad Abdullahi, who is at the site of the explosion.
Witnesses said the blast happened after a car rammed the front of the building after crashing through two security barriers.
Nigeria's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Viola Onwuliri, told the BBC she had visited the building and seen "the shock on people's faces".
"This is not an attack on Nigeria but on the global community," she said. "An attack on the world."
The building is the UN's main office in Nigeria, where all its agencies are based, the unnamed UN official told the BBC.
The official said security had been increased at all UN offices in Nigeria following the intelligence warning of a possible attack.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Nollywood star Michael Dappa stuns fans with big chop ahead of new film role
3 minutes -
NPA slams gas ‘shortage’ rumours; assures over one month’s cover
22 minutes -
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
1 hour -
Majority Leader fires back at Sefwi protesters
2 hours -
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
2 hours -
Prof. Amoah warns Africa against becoming China’s ‘Dumping Ground’
3 hours -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
3 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
4 hours -
Don’t cancel the pension scheme for cocoa farmers
5 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
5 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
6 hours -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
7 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
7 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
7 hours -
Gyakie appreciates media houses for continued support
8 hours
