Audio By Carbonatix
A man with alleged links to al-Qaeda is suspected of being behind the bombing of the UN headquarters in Abuja, Nigerian officials say.
A secret police statement said the man belonged to Islamist group Boko Haram and had recently returned from Somalia.
It said two other Boko Haram suspects had been arrested on 21 August, five days before the bomb, following a warning of attacks in the capital.
Friday's suicide car bombing killed 23 people and wounded more than 80.
Boko Haram, which is fighting for the establishment of Sharia law in Nigeria, has claimed responsibility for the attack.
The group is alleged to have had contacts with al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, which operates in North Africa, and al-Shabab in Somalia.
"Investigation has revealed that one Mamman Nur, a notorious Boko Haram element with al-Qaeda links who returned recently from Somalia, working in concert with the two (arrested) suspects masterminded the attack on the United Nations building in Abuja," said the secret police statement.
It said Mamman Nur remained at large and appealed for information leading to his arrest, adding that the two suspects arrested on 21 August were being held at a military facility.
They were identified as Babagana Ismail Kwaljima, aka Abu Summaya, and Babagana Mali, aka Bulama, and were described as "notorious leaders of the Boko Haram extremist sect".
They were detained three days after a warning.
"On 18 August, 2011, precise intelligence was obtained by this service that some Boko Haram elements were on a mission to attack unspecified targets in Abuja," said the statement.
Loosely translated from the local Hausa language, Boko Haram means "Western education is forbidden".
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t to raise GH₵30bn through syndicated domestic bond to bail COCOBOD – Sagnarigu MP
8 minutes -
Brake failure claims life of trader in Kaase Gas tanker crash
12 minutes -
Majority, Minority clash over bill to revert NIB name to BNI and overhaul National Security structure
18 minutes -
Water crisis disrupting production – AGI president warns industrialisation at risk
24 minutes -
Office of Ga Mantse breaks silence on accident
25 minutes -
COCOBOD debt exceeded assets under NPP – Otokunor
31 minutes -
Samson Ahi labels Sehwi Wiawso cocoa protest politically engineered; points fingers at NPP
36 minutes -
Adongo accuses Akufo-Addo’s appointees of mismanaging COCOBOD; says they need ‘whipping’
41 minutes -
Trade Ministry denounces terror attack on Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso
47 minutes -
Adongo dismisses COCOBOD bailout call, blames crisis on past Akufo-Addo government
52 minutes -
GRA prepares to meet GH¢360bn revenue target for 2028
1 hour -
We must refuse to be intimidated – Veep Prof Opoku-Agyemang challenges women
1 hour -
GRA to enforce Physical and Electronic Devices Act this year – Commissioner-General
1 hour -
NPP should be the last to comment on cocoa issues – Otokunor
1 hour -
Stop partisan comments on killing of Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso – Ahiafor cautions MPs
1 hour
