Audio By Carbonatix
Ugandan police have banned a rally to celebrate the overthrow of North African leaders, saying it could incite violence.
Opposition group Activists For Change called the rally for Friday to "celebrate people power in North Africa".
It printed a flyer, suggesting that Uganda's long-serving President Yoweri Museveni could also be deposed.
A government crackdown on protests in April killed nine people.
Police spokesman Vincent Sekate said the rally had been banned because of a dispute over the venue.
'Museveni next'
"Furthermore, the purpose of the rally is likely to incite the public into violence," he said.
In the Activists For Change flyer advertising the rally, the photos of the ousted leaders of Tunisia, Egypt and Libya are crossed out, with Mr Museveni - who has been in power since 1986 - lined up as the next to fall.
Uganda has been rocked by a wave of protests since Mr Museveni was re-elected to office in February in a poll denounced as fraudulent by opposition groups.
The opposition organised a series of protests against the rising cost of living in Uganda.
Mr Museveni accused the protesters of plotting an Egypt-style uprising and warned that they could be jailed.
In April, nine people were killed after the security forces intervened to end the protests.
The main opposition leader, Kizza Besigye, was assaulted, arrested and charged with inciting violence.
The charges were later dropped.
Mr Museveni has been a staunch critic of the Nato-led military intervention in Libya, saying it could trigger an arms race in the region.
He urged the opposition to enter into dialogue with Col Muammar Gaddafi to resolve differences.
Uganda has refused to recognise Libya's National Transitional Council as the legitimate representative of Libyans.
Last month, Nato-backed rebels entered the Libyan capital, Tripoli, ending Col Gaddafi's 42 years in power.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
7 Ghanaian traders killed in Titao terrorist attack buried in Burkina Faso
7 minutes -
Northern teachers protest ‘fake appointment’ claims
12 minutes -
Greater Accra Regional Minister hasn’t sanctioned any selective demolitions of billboards – GARCC replies AAG
14 minutes -
UniMAC-Journalism and Media Students Association (JOMSA) launched
23 minutes -
MTN and CalBank collect 7,020 pints of blood in ‘Save a life’ drive
26 minutes -
Ken Agyapong’s camp denies breakaway party claims
31 minutes -
Photos: Mahama commissions new Ghana embassy chancery in Addis Ababa
32 minutes -
UniMAC committed to producing ethically grounded, socially responsible journalists – Dean
35 minutes -
Patrick Boamah casts doubts over gov’t’s plan to extradite a Russian suspect in sexual exploitation saga
39 minutes -
Advocacy group pledges to pursue cases of wrongful convictions
39 minutes -
Li Yang: China’s zero-tariff policy helps made-in-Ghana products expand into the Chinese market
44 minutes -
Russian Embassy in Ghana acknowledges reports on sexual exploitation case
51 minutes -
GNAT condemns violent attack on West Africa SHS teachers
56 minutes -
NAIMOS arrests armed thugs posing as Anti-Galamsey task force in Western Region
56 minutes -
Efya ties the knot with Nigerian singer Tomi Thomas
1 hour
