Audio By Carbonatix
Rio Ferdinand has refused to rule himself out of the running for Fabio Capello’s England squad for Euro 2012, despite the ongoing race row between his brother, Anton, and potential centre back partner, John Terry.
It was recently announced that Terry’s trial for comments allegedly made towards QPR defender Ferdinand had been adjourned until July 9.
This means the Chelsea skipper is free to participate in the tournament in Poland and Ukraine should he be selected.
And, while Manchester United defender Ferdinand has insisted he still wants to represent his country at the tournament, he conceded it has been a tough few months for him and his family.
“Anton is my little brother. In moments like this, when things are so public and you can’t really say anything, it can be frustrating," Ferdinand told reporters.
“For my family, yes, it has been tough. At the end of the day, my brother has not brought any accusations to anyone.
"He is not the accused. But he has had to sit there and take abuse from some small-minded people.”
Chelsea defender Terry has since been stripped of the England captaincy by the FA, with England manager Fabio Capello voicing his displeasure at the decision.
Some reports have suggested the Italian has breached his contract in doing so, yet Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes Capello is entitled to give his opinion.
“There’s nothing wrong with having an opinion," Ferguson said.
Similarly, Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas has backed Capello’s decision to defend Terry.
“He [Capello] has the right to his opinion and to share that defense with the player,” he told reporters.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Toxic exposure from galamsey puts elderly at greater risk of kidney damage — Public health expert
23 minutes -
Big talk, small receipts: the politics of promises and policy
24 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana will reduce 70% medicine import dependence under five-year plan
27 minutes -
Study reveals high rate of uropathogens among Ghanaian elderly
29 minutes -
Christabel wins first Star Chef title as Big Chef Season 5 begins
29 minutes -
Tanker drivers begin three-day strike over alleged fuel measurement inaccuracies at BOST Kumasi
31 minutes -
Trump says US to reduce military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war
32 minutes -
Greater Manchester NDC UK branch elects new executives
33 minutes -
Ghana’s anti-corruption fight has stagnated— Transparency International
38 minutes -
UMB, ORC partner to make business registration easier for entrepreneurs
41 minutes -
Cedi is ‘long overdue for a refresh’ – Mahama
44 minutes -
GenCED urges NPP to extend 50% nomination fee reduction to women, youth and PWDs
48 minutes -
The source of cedi appreciation matters more than the appreciation itself
56 minutes -
Ashanti cocoa farmers welcome new COCOBOD Bill, back key reforms
59 minutes -
‘GoldBod is a very big scandal awaiting us’ – Afenyo-Markin
60 minutes