The Registered Tenants Association of Accra Mall is accusing management of the Mall for quoting rent charges in United States dollars, a practice prohibited by the Bank of Ghana.
The Association is also unhappy about what it describe as exorbitant rent charges which is affecting sales negatively.
In a press conference held at the forecourt of the Accra Mall, the President of the Association, Rev. John Baidu Danquah called on management of the mall to reduce the excessive rent charges.
He also appealed to government to come to the Association aid.
“We cannot pay our bills. They charge us in dollars and we are suffering. We employ close to 2000 people and all our staff will go home if we don’t get help. So we are asking the government to come to our aid.
“We pay rent in dollars while we sell in cedis and it is not helping us. We are suffering here.
“They should reduce the rent. Anytime we petition management about our plight, that’s when they send threatening messages”, he fumed.
Mr. Danquah further indicated that the poor treatment by the management of Accra Mall, including inadequate compensation, will collapse their businesses if government does not come to their rescue.
“It has really drained the businesses here at the mall. Every shop, every business and every brand is suffering because the rent is just too much. So if we don’t take care, all the businesses are going to run down,” he stated.
The tenants are also calling for a reduction in rent charges with appropriate compensation as Covid-19 impacts negatively on their businesses.
In a letter sent to tenants of the Mall by management and cited by Joy Business, it indicates that tenants must pay their “Lease Agreement” to which the amount is quoted in dollars as $62, 279, 24 within three days.
- Stephen Appiah excludes Asamoah Gyan from his list of best Ghanaian players
- We will not allow any religious group to plunge Ghana into chaos – Muntaka
- CID probes 53 schools over alleged corruption in school feeding programme
- Kwabena Agyepong’s NPP membership re-instated
- Manu, who delayed Ghana’s 4x100m baton, had never received a baton before – Coach
- #NSMQ2021: Mfantsiman Girls SHS dumped for the third time in a row at regional championships
- Family sues Daasebre Oti Boateng for failing to replace a statue he destroyed
- Students of Takoradi Technical University reject certificate
- Customs driver jailed for selling official vehicle
- SALL kicks against EC’s decision to amend C.I. for them to vote in 2024
Italian woman accidentally given six shots of Covid-19 vaccine
Drake is Billboard’s Artist of the Decade, will receive honor at 2021 Billboard Music Awards
We’ll work for food security reserves – ECOWAS
Pandemic could lead to more child obesity, WHO Europe office warns
French court fines, sentences Oppong Weah’s son for reckless partying
Salifu Ibrahim not being swayed by man of the match awards
SYND-Ghana backs Lands Ministry’s fight against exploitation of forest reserves
‘I left home so I can take care of my family,’ – A ‘kayayo’ on why she is on the streets
Make a deliberate effort to own a copy of the 1992 Constitution – NCCE
Parliament to reconvene on May 25 to commence second meeting
Dr Mavis Owureku Asare: Wesley Girls’ no fast policy is not about religion
NSMQ 2021: Tamasco and 3 others secure tickets to Accra on day one of Northern Regional qualifiers
Former British High Commissioner to Ghana, Craig Murray jailed for contempt in the UK
Even though it hurts to see you with her, I’m genuinely happy for you
To my ex-lover that I can’t move on from