Ghana's retail industry is experiencing exponential growth and expansion. According to the 2019 Global Retail Development Index, Ghana's retail industry is positioned number one in Africa and fourth in the world. The rapid advancement of the industry is influenced by the increased rapid urbanization, increased foreign and public investments.
The retail industry is responsible for the sale of services and finished products for public consumption. It constitutes international and local players in the industry. The international players include Game, Shoprite, Palace, Citydia, etc. Though informal trade is predominant and contributes hugely to the retail industry, modern retail and e-commerce are causing a paradigm shift, especially in Accra.
It is worth noting that some of the popular retail centres in the country include Shoprite (Accra and Kumasi Mall), Game (Accra and Kumasi Mall), Palace Supermarket (Palace Mall), Koala (Osu), Maxmart (37), City Dia (La), Melcom (North Kaneshie), Marina Mall Supermarket (Airport), China Mall (Spintex and Kasoa), A&C Mall (East Legon), and Oxford Street Mall (Osu),
The fast-paced and dynamic retail industry has offered suitable destinations for customers through the development of the West Hills Malls, Accra Mall, and Palace Mall.
The galactic mall with exquisite features is built on an impressive 27,700 square meters of land. The West Hills Mall happens to be the biggest and largest shopping mall in Ghana and West Africa. The property has over 65 shops. Its anchor tenants are Shoprite and Game.
The strategic location of the mall makes it accessible for local and international travel easy. It is at Dukonah, near Weija along the Accra – Cape Coast Highway in the Greater Accra Region of Ghana. It is 30 minutes away from the Kotoka International Airport and Accra Central. It is 40 minutes drive from Edens Heights. The luxury gated community has approximately 1,272 grandeur apartments and 40 penthouses. Edens Heights is considered one of the best communities for making a home choice. It has both sales and rental options. The luxury apartment prioritizes location, services, and amenities.
West Hills Mall costs $93 million, and it is owned by the partnership of Delico Property Development Limited (60 per cent) and Ghana's Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) (40 per cent). It was opened in October 2014. It is managed by Broll Ghana Limited.
The shopping and lifestyle destination has several retail shops, dining, and entertainment concept. This includes restaurants and eateries (both local, continental, Asian, etc.), Banks, food, electronics, furniture, clothing, game centres, movie theatre,), jewellery, cosmetics, perfumery, shoes, accessories, etc. Very clean and comfortable restrooms. Air-conditioned lounges, children's playgrounds as well as outdoor sitting areas. Ultra-spacious demarcated largest car park with security personnel to protect customers.
You can consider these store listings at West Hills Mall:
- ANCHOR: Game and Shoprite
- ELECTRONICS & ACCESSORIES: Compu Ghana, Electronics Hub, Hisense, Starlite, Telefonika, ZKTeco Experience Centre
- ENTERTAINMENT: Fun4Kids, Silverbird, Vulcano Vip Casino
- HEALTH & BEAUTY: Divine Organic Hub, Mall Pharmacy, Mac, Maybeline, Nart1 Skincare, Royal Hair Saloon, Scentopia, Sonotech Medical and Diagnostic Center, and Thai Massage.
- FOOD: The Addo’s, Barcelos, Basilissa, Chale Wote, Chicken Inn, Creamy Inn, Kent's Cup, New York Sizzler, Pastries & Ice Cream, Pizza Inn
- HOME, DECOR & BOOKS: Ashfoam, Banana Home, A J Boaz Furniture, C2G Books & More, Maydan, Motion Furniture
- JEWELLERY: Mv Accessories and Tesori
- FASHION: Aha, AJ Boaz, Spero, D.O.K Handmade, Grosvenor, Jocent, Mrp
- SERVICES: First National Bank, Delles Forex Bureau, Jays Auto Spa, MTN, Photostore, Rent Air, Stanbic Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, and Vodafone
West Hills Mall is a unique one-stop shopping centre for all your goods and services.
Accra Mall is one of the most popular malls in the country and the first to spark the retail revolution in the country. It is located at the Tetteh Quarshie Interchange adjacent to the Tema Motorway in Accra, Ghana.
Accessibility to all major places is easy including Edens Heights, the renowned luxurious gated community that offers a unique living experience for those considering to be homeowners. Accra Mall is about 40 minutes away from Edens Heights.
The shopping center in Ghana was built by Actis (London) at an estimated price of $36 million. In May 2012, Actis sold its stake in Accra Mall to South African commercial and retail property developer Atterbury and financial services group Sanlam.
Accra Mall occupies 21,311 square meters and has parking space for over 660 cars. It started operating in July 2008. South-African top retail companies( Game and Shoprite) are the anchor tenants in the mall. It has over 70 modern-styled shopping centers, 5 cinema halls, a radio station, and 12 restaurants. Broll Ghana Limited manages Accra Mall.
Some of their listings include:
- ELECTRONICS: Electronics Hub, Galaxy Studio, Huawei, iStore, Compu-Ghana, Sony, Starlite and Telefonika
- ENTERTAINMENT: Silverbird Cinemas, Soccabet, Vulkano Games, and YFM
- HEALTH & BEAUTY: Body Basics, Couture, Eye Emporium, Hair Depot, Life Health Care, MAC Cosmetics, Paris II, and Scentopia.
- SERVICES: MTN, SIC, Spendstre Foto Store, Satguru Travels & Tours, Vodafone, and Yasore Forex Bureau
- FASHION & JEWELRY: AHA, Aurum, Spero, Ennzo, Grosvenor, Kiki Clothing, M.V Accessories, Moty, Mr. Price, Nallem Clothing, Pandora, Platform, Skechers, Swatch, T.M Lewin, Vlisco, Whiteleys, Woodin, and ZigZa
- HOME & GIFTS: Ashfoam, Banana Homes, Manos, and Maydan Home Décor
- FOOD: Barcelos, Burger King, Eddy’s Pizza, KFC, Basilissa and Nominom, Le Must Family Restaurant, Pizza Inn, Creamy Inn, Chicken Inn, Rose Joy, Say Cheers, and Vida e caffè.
PALACE MALL SPINTEX
The Palace Mall was established in 2015 under the Palace Mall Limited. It has grown to be one of the most sought-after shopping destinations for consumers. The palace mall offers both e-commerce and on-site shopping style for customers.
The fast-growing mall has spread its wings in many parts of the region in Ghana. These include:
• Main Branch at Spintex Road
• Kumasi, Dr. Osei Tuffour Bypass
• Weija, Tetegu Junction
• Tema, Community 25
• Labone, Fifth Circular Road, Accra
• Atomic Junction Mall, Accra
Let's zoom in on Palace's main branch located at Spintex Road in Accra, Ghana.
The neighbourhood is accessible to places like Kotoka International Airport, Tetteh Quarshie, East Legon, La, Teshie-Nungua, and Tema Motorway. Spintex is a commercial hub with light industrial activity. It has a cluster of big shops like Melcom Plus, China Mall, Orca Deco, Sneda Store, Furniture City, and the Lifestyle Gallery. Spintex is earmarked as a favourite hotspot for business activities.
However, one of the residential developments with over thousands of luxury apartments close to the Palace's main branch is the Edens Heights. The property is 40 minutes away from the mall.
The Palace Mall is a leading name in Spintex. It is considered one of the modern malls in the country. It provides exclusive stores for local and international brands.
The mall is an exclusive distributor for LG, Beko, Sony, Bosch, Nivea, Emborg, Chicco, Barbie, Samsonite, Fisher-Price, Kitchenaid, Pyrex, Americana, Tilda, Stanley, Black & Decker, Samsung, and many others.
Again, the Palace mall at Spintex has extended its scope in providing one-stop retail services to customers. The emergence of The Palms Square provides an ultimate premium shopping experience in style. Customers can now dine and shop with over 100 top brand names all under the same roof.
The future outlook of the retail industry is still exciting, and gradually people will get more alternatives and suitable destinations to purchase their goods and access their services.
Music review: Schia’s ‘La Vida Loca’ is easily the love bop you didn’t know you needed
Woman killed by house help died of multiple head and stomach injuries
Social media users react to #OccupyBoG protest
SSNIT marks 2023 Customer Service Week in Accra
#OccupyBoG: Governor Addison absent as protesters vow to return with petition
Government settles all outstanding pensions contributions ending August 2023 –NPRA Boss
Man jailed 71 years for defiling seven minors
Youth need support, tools to address old challenges – EU Head of Cooperation
Over 90% of Ghanaian kidney failure patients who should receive dialysis are not getting it says report
Kenya hit by record 860m cyber-attacks in a year
Star Assurance awarded Marketing Oriented General Insurance Company of The Year
A race against time: Unveiling Ghana’s kidney crisis
SNV Trade Show: Stakeholders advocate TVET restructuring to suit GrEEn economy
Fish farmers lose ₵46m worth of fish stock due to Akosombo Dam spillage
Samuel Eto’o: Lawyers for Cameroon FA president say he has not been notified of legal proceedings against him