Audio By Carbonatix
An al-Qaeda-linked group has said it was behind an early morning attack in the Malian capital, Bamako.
Armed men targeted a military training school and other areas in the city, the authorities said, blaming “a group of terrorists” for the assault.
Jihadist group Jama'at Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimin (JNIM) claimed responsibility, saying it had inflicted heavy human and material losses.
The attack was the first of its kind in years to hit Bamako. Before Tuesday, the city had largely avoided the Islamist insurgency that has wracked Mali for more than a decade.
JNIM is considered to be one of the most active militant groups in the wider Sahel region, having staged numerous attacks in Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger.
It said a "special operation" on Tuesday struck both the training centre and Bamako's military airport, leading to casualties on the military's behalf.
The New York Times also reported losses - members of Mali's security forces told the US paper that "several" officers had been killed or injured. The sources also said that a dozen ambulances had carried the troops to the hospital.
The government did not mention any such losses but said the military training school was among a number of "sensitive points" "targeted by terrorist attacks" at dawn.

A military statement issued at about 08:00 local time (08:00 GMT) said the situation "was under control", while a statement from the security ministry said residents could go about their business as normal.
AFP news agency later reported that "heavy exchanges of fire" had taken place in the early afternoon near a police station controlling access to the civilian airport terminal.
At a similar time, JNIM said that it had taken complete control of the nearby military airport. The BBC has not been able to verify this claim.
Earlier, Mali's state television channel broadcast footage appearing to show roughly 20 prisoners. The men all had blindfolds on and their wrists tied.
"The terrorists have been neutralised. The sweep is continuing," army chief-of-staff Oumar Diarra said during the ORTM news report.
The news report also showed footage of three unmoving bodies lying on the ground.
International organisations such as the UN have reportedly advised their staff to restrict their movement.
Videos posted earlier on social media showed black plumes of smoke rising from a part of the city.
As shots rang out, people heading to the mosque for morning prayers had to turn back, news agency Reuters said.
Bamako's Modibo Keita International Airport was closed following the attack.
The military seized power in a coup in 2021, accusing the government of failing to do enough to quell the insurgency.
The junta expelled French troops and UN peacekeepers and brought in Russia's Wagner group to help fight the jihadists, but there is no sign of the insurgency ending.
Latest Stories
-
The six KNUST air quality ambassadors championing clean air action across Ghana and West Africa
1 hour -
Big motivation if people want Spurs down – De Zerbi
1 hour -
West Ham relegation may cost London taxpayers £2.5m
1 hour -
Leeds promise bans over homophobic chants
2 hours -
Mahama recused himself over Damang Mine deal – Kwakye Ofosu rejects Ibrahim state capture claims
2 hours -
What is wrong with us? We celebrate buildings but neglect the systems that keep cities alive
2 hours -
Neymar included in Brazil’s 26-man World Cup squad
2 hours -
Why Ghana’s export story is no longer about raw cocoa
2 hours -
Man City preparing for Guardiola departure
2 hours -
The paradox of plenty: How Ghana’s farmers are being sacrificed on the altar of a cheap import agenda
2 hours -
Defence Ministry in ‘safe hands’ despite vacancy – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
2 hours -
Why no Defence Minister yet? – Felix Kwakye Ofosu says Mahama sees no urgency
3 hours -
Sam George petitions AG to probe $3.4m payment for CSA building project
3 hours -
The Abronye Charge Sheet – misuse in plain sight
3 hours -
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid after 23 years
3 hours