Audio By Carbonatix
A convoy carrying Malian soldiers and fighters from the Russian paramilitary Africa Corps came under attack in northern Mali on Thursday, three security sources and a spokesperson for an armed group said.
One of the sources said the convoy was ferrying more than 200 Russian fighters and more than 100 Malian soldiers.
A similar attack hit another military convoy headed north earlier this week, the same person said.
The Al Qaeda affiliate Jama'at Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimin (JNIM) and the Tuareg-led rebel group the Azawad Liberation Front (FLA) staged attacks on army positions across Mali on Saturday, July 4.
The convoy was heading towards the northern town of Anefis, where fighting has persisted since then, when it came under fire early on Thursday, the sources said.
A spokesperson for the FLA claimed responsibility for the attack. It is unclear whether JNIM was also involved.
A spokesperson for Mali's military did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Niger, a neighbour and ally to Mali, provided air support during the fighting, the three sources said.
Niger's military could not be reached for comment.
The FLA and JNIM teamed up for a coordinated, high-profile operation in April that hit the airport in the capital Bamako and killed the defence minister.
Africa Corps is backing Mali's military in the fight against insurgencies that have plagued the West African country since 2012.
Latest Stories
-
Today’s front pages: Friday, August 21, 2026
14 minutes -
Power outages could drive up cost of digital services — NITA
16 minutes -
Only 16% of Ghana health facilities meet basic sanitation standard — WHO / UNICEF
23 minutes -
Competence has no age; let’s stop punishing new businesses
39 minutes -
JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair 2026 opens today at Achimota Mall
42 minutes -
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
47 minutes -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
50 minutes -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
1 hour -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
2 hours -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
3 hours -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
3 hours -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
3 hours -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
3 hours -
Supreme Court to rule on injunction application on legal vacation today
3 hours -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
3 hours