Audio By Carbonatix
A 2,500-year-old golden helmet considered one of Romania's greatest treasures has been recovered more than a year after it was stolen during a raid on a Dutch museum.
It and two golden bracelets dating back to about 450BC were unveiled as having been returned to the museum on Thursday, secured behind a glass case with two armed police guarding them. A third bracelet has not yet been found.
The theft of the Coțofenești helmet and bracelets by an armed gang who broke into the Drents Museum in Assen caused outrage in Romania and raised questions about security for priceless artefacts on loan to other countries.
"It's a long-awaited result," Romanian prosecutor Daniela Buruiană told journalists.
"We are happy that we are now witnessing here the recovery of the Romanian artefacts," she added.
The treasures, which date from the Dacian era - an Iron Age civilisation that existed roughly where Romania is now - had been on loan from Romania's national history museum when they had been stolen.
Their theft prompted a spat between the two governments that led to the Dutch government paying a reported €5.7m (£5m; $6.5m) in insurance compensation.
Romanian officials refused to discuss what would happen to that money now.

Robert van Langh, director of the Drents Museum in the northern Netherlands, said the helmet had been slightly dented but could be restored. The bracelets remained in perfect condition, he said.
Romanian prosecutor Rareș-Petru Stan spoke of the "major impact" that the theft had had in his home country, and praised his Dutch colleagues for their "hard work and keeping the faith".
"We are continuing the investigation to find the last bracelet," he added, "and we are grateful that we will be able to return this treasure to the Romanian people."
Dutch public prosecutor Corien Fahner revealed that the helmet and bracelets were handed over to authorities on Wednesday following negotiations involving lawyers for the three suspects.
Two men in their mid-30s and one aged 21 will face trial later this month.
The suspects were arrested within days of the gang using explosives to break into the museum, but by then there was no trace of the priceless items.
Art experts have suggested that the helmet and bracelets were stolen to order by a criminal gang.
Several Dutch provincial museums have been targeted in recent years because of the difficulty in providing adequate security for priceless artefacts. The helmet and bracelets were in a glass case that provided little resistance to the armed group.
In 2024, two works by Andy Warhol were stolen from a gallery in the southern Netherlands, and six years ago a Frans Hals painting called Two Laughing Boys was stolen from a small museum in the central town of Leerdam.
The former head of the national history museum in Bucharest, Ernest Oberländer-Târnoveanu, faced considerable domestic criticism for loaning the gold objects abroad and lost his job within days of the theft.
He spoke of his relief that the helmet had been retrieved.
"This is a unique item in European and even global cultural heritage," he told RTL Nieuws. "The helmet is an important social and political symbol of Dacian civilisation."
Latest Stories
-
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
36 seconds -
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
18 minutes -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
21 minutes -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
23 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
27 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
34 minutes -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
35 minutes -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
41 minutes -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
53 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
55 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
1 hour -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
1 hour -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
1 hour -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
1 hour -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
1 hour