Audio By Carbonatix
The Bank of Ghana registered a profit of ¢1.57 billion last year, its 2020 Annual Report has revealed.
This is compared to the ¢1.80 billion recorded in 2019.
The directors of the Central Bank however did not recommend dividend to be paid to the shareholder (government). In 2019, it also did not pay dividend.
The report said “the directors have assessed the ability of the Central Bank to continue as a going concern. The directors, therefore, have a reasonable expectation that the Bank has adequate resources to continue in operational existence for the foreseeable future. Thus, the going concern basis has been adopted in preparing the annual financial statements of the Bank and the Group.”
An amount of ¢403.37 million (2019: ¢1.24 billion) has however been set aside as approved appropriations from reserves for contingencies, emergency interventions, general purpose loans, and others.
The report said despite the Covid-19 pandemic, the Central Bank has ensured that all key/critical functions and activities continue to operate, with none having been disrupted to date.
“Ghana has a strong and resilient banking system with adequate levels of capital and significant liquidity buffers to effectively manage the risks they face from the pandemic. The Basel framework, around which the Bank’s regulations are structured, provides for built-in capital and liquidity buffers for banks to draw on during times of financial stress”, the report pointed out.
“However, the Covid-19 pandemic created observed liquidity strains in various funding markets, which necessitated a review of the money market liquidity management strategy. Therefore, in addition to the measures taken by the Government of Ghana to contain the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, the Central Bank has deployed monetary and financial stability policy tools to further mitigate the Covid-19 pandemic’s impact on the Ghanaian economy”, it stressed.
In 2020, the Bank of Ghana donated an amount of ¢10 million to the National Covid-19 Trust Fund to support the national’s effort towards the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic.
It also donated ¢10 million to the Private Sector Covid-19 Fund for the completion of a new Infectious Diseases Treatment Centre at Ga East, Accra to help in the management of critical Covid-19 cases.
It concluded, saying, the Central Bank will continue to follow the policies and advice of various national institutions and, at the same time, continue its operations in the best and safest way possible without jeopardising the health of its employees.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
19 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
1 hour -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
1 hour -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
1 hour -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
1 hour -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
2 hours -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
2 hours -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
2 hours -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
2 hours -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
2 hours -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
2 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
3 hours -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
3 hours -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
3 hours