Audio By Carbonatix
The government has deployed military personnel and drones along the Wale Wale-Bolgatanga Highway in response to a series of armed attacks on passenger buses in the area.
Minister for the Interior, Mr Muntaka Mohammed-Mubarak, disclosed this in Parliament on Tuesday, March 18, 2025, while answering questions from the Member of Parliament for Wale Wale about rising robberies and vehicle burnings in parts of the North East Region.
Mr Muntaka Mubarak said that although armed robbery cases in Wale Wale had declined over the past three years, from 30 cases in 2022 to 18 in 2024 attacks on buses remained a concern.
He attributed the recent incidents to the ongoing Bawku chieftaincy conflict, which, he noted, was spilling over into neighbouring areas.
To address the situation, the government imposed a curfew on Wale Wale and surrounding areas on February 15, 2025.
Additional police officers have also been deployed from Tamale to support the Wale Wale District Command, with more vehicles and logistical support provided.
Three police bases have been set up in Wale Wale, Janga, and Gombiliga, each staffed by 30 officers to improve patrols.
Police escorts for market women have also been introduced to protect traders travelling to and from Wale Wale’s markets.
Despite these measures, Mr Muntaka Mubarak admitted that no arrests had been made in connection with this year’s robbery cases.
He said the widespread use of motorbikes in the area made it difficult to track suspects but assured Parliament that surveillance operations, including drone monitoring, would help address the situation.
“I will continue engaging the police, and with drone surveillance now in place, I believe we will see improvements. But as of now, I have no information on arrests,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s farmgate cocoa price beats Côte d’Ivoire despite criticism – AAK NDC
1 minute -
Why use your royalties for ‘nsawa’ and blame mining companies for no development?
3 minutes -
ECOWAS Court of Justice holds sensitisation mission and external court session in Guinea
7 minutes -
Stephen Amoah calls for structural economic reforms to prevent future IMF bailout
8 minutes -
Stephen Amoah defends erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t IMF bailout decision
11 minutes -
Repeal Section 208 now! It is archaic and anti-democracy – Samson Lardy Anyenini
11 minutes -
Ghana on right economic trajectory after IMF programme exit – Dr Atuahene
13 minutes -
EPA shuts down Mpohor Mining site over alleged illegal foreign involvement
15 minutes -
Fallon Foundation launches ‘Pad for Prisons Initiative’ to promote menstrual equity in Ghana
23 minutes -
Private broadcasters strengthen democracy, accountability, and national development – GIBA President
24 minutes -
Some ministries are collapsing due to lack of funds – Effia MP claims
31 minutes -
IMF programme stabilised Ghana’s economy – Dr Richmond Atuahene
37 minutes -
Banking consultant calls for privatisation of non-strategic SOEs
46 minutes -
Bimbilla NPP Chairman Mbow Mohammed resigns after over three decades of party service
55 minutes -
NADMO appeals for urgent support following Tidal Wave destruction in Moree
58 minutes