Beyoncé was already a queen, but now she’s the queen of the Grammys.
Bey just became the most awarded artist in Grammys history, with a record 32 wins. The award that put her over the edge was the best dance/electronic album, which she won for her celebrated record “Renaissance.”
The crowd rose to its feet to celebrate Beyoncé’s win. She thanked her late Uncle Johnny, whose name she famously drops in the song “Heated,” as well as her husband and three children.
She also acknowledged the LGBTQ artists who inspired and directly contributed to “Renaissance.”
“I’d like to thank the queer community for your love and for inventing the genre,” she said.
Grammys host Trevor Noah said Bey’s win also settled another matter: “We can finally end the GOAT debate; it’s done now – it’s Beyoncé,” he said.
Beyoncé scored the album of the summer with “Renaissance,” an effervescent ode to disco and the ballroom scene of New York in the ’70s and ‘80s, a community founded by Black gay and trans people.
Four songs from “Renaissance” were nominated for Grammys this year, with “Break My Soul” earning nods for song and record of the year.
Earlier on Sunday, Beyoncé won Grammys for best traditional R&B performance and best electronic dance recording for “Plastic Off the Sofa” and “Break My Soul,” respectively.
She won at least one award in absentia: Noah told the audience that Bey was stuck in traffic on her way to the ceremony, so legendary guitarist Nile Rodgers accepted the award for best R&B performance, for “Cuff It,” on her behalf.
Beyoncé has racked up 88 Grammy nominations over her career. She was already the most awarded woman performer before Sunday’s milestone. The conductor Georg Solti previously held the record for most Grammys earned by a single artist.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Beige Bank case: Nyinaku accused of issuing misleading investment certificates to unsuspecting customers
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hints at audit
- ‘Hatred or truth’ – Woman’s message to son’s girlfriend shocks social media users
- The rising level of air pollution in West Africa
- Livestream: Parliament debates report on Akufo-Addo’s new Ministerial appointees
- Energy Ministry isn’t indebted to ECG; there was no disconnection of power supply – Egyapa Mercer
- 6-packs come with a risk of depression
- Fish farmers call for government support to address sector challenges
- Avoid appointments that give impression of jobs for boys and girls – Joyce Bawa Morgtari tells Akufo-Addo
- Man jailed 180 days for fondling minor’s breast
- Lynx signee, Kasar, releases first single ‘Oyibo’
- Cedi improves in value against dollar; $1 now ¢12.40
- NDC flagbearership race: Kwabena Duffour submits nomination forms
- Kelvynboy reveals how he benefitted from Tekno, Stefflon Don feature on ‘Down Flat’ remix
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up
- AFCON 2023Q Preview: Black Stars host Angola in Chris Hughton’s first game
- Funny Face opens up on relationship with Emmanuel Adebayor
- The Weeknd named world’s Most Popular Artist by Guinness World Records