The single biggest arrest of suspected illegal miners has been effected in the Ashanti region.
16 miners were rounded up deep inside the Kobro forest reserve believed to have huge mineral deposits.
The arrest by the taskforce working under the Inter-ministerial committee against illegal mining raises concerns that illegal mining is outlasting government’s resolve to deal with the menace.
The taskforce retrieved 14 long butt pump action assault rifles and one rare military grade M16 assault rifle.
Some of the weapons were brand new, Luv FM’s Erastus Asare Donkor reported. Six new excavators were also grounded.
Two ex-military officers who were manning the site told the team the owner of the site, one Donald Enstuah has a permit from the minerals commission.
One of the 15 sites owned by Enstuah is the size of about six football fields combined.
- 3 ECG employees charged for stealing ¢2.1m prepaid credits
- Yul Edochie and wife May lose first son
- No one from Ghana’s film industry approached me while I was here – Spike Lee
- Martin Amidu on Anas: ‘Genuine anti-corruption crusaders don’t hide behind masks’
- Power outages imminent as Ghana Gas shuts down Atuabo gas processing plant from April 1
- Davido confirms he’s married to Chioma
- Parliamentary committee recommends passage of controversial Anti-LGBTQ bill
- Ambulance case: Court orders Ato Forson to open defence
- Political appointees at Presidency increases to 361
- Ashanti NDC refutes allegations of wearing military uniforms on campaign tour
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Weather information assists farmers to adapt to climate change
- Beige Bank collapse: Witness accuses Nyinaku of taking bank’s US$200,000 illegally
- Green Sports Academy wishes Isaac Dogboe well ahead of WBO featherweight title fight
- Dogboe v Ramirez – Dogboe’ s trainer chasing history
- Donald Trump indictment: Ex-US president to be charged over hush money
- WMO retires deadly cyclone Fiona and Ian from list of names
- 5 member committee investigating Kejetia Market fire starts with fact-finding mission
- UBA Ghana holds first quarter ‘Jogging To Bond’
- Playback: PM Express discuss how to restore capital market after DDEP
- Kuami Eugene offers budding musicians tips for Joy Prime’s ‘Cues & Lyrics’ audition
- Mercy Chinwo threatens musician with ₦2bn lawsuit after he used her name in song
- Mastercard Foundation Health Collaborative allocates $1 million for prospective entrepreneurs
- We’ll pay outstanding debt despite inheriting it – Electrochem
- Lawyer for Jonathan Majors shares alleged texts from woman involved in actor’s assault arrest