German drugmaker BioNTech plans to develop its first malaria vaccine and begin clinical trials by next year.
The ambitious turnaround time is thanks to the MRNA technology used to develop the Pfizer and Moderna coronavirus vaccines in under a year.
The only approved malaria vaccine, Mosquirix, took scientists at GlaxoSmithKline more than 30 years to develop.
Malaria kills more than 400,000 people annually, most of them children in sub-Saharan Africa.
Apart from vaccines and pills, countries – including Malawi, Tanzania and Kenya – use drones to find mosquito breeding grounds and kill the larvae before they hatch.
- Kofi Adoma assaulted by unknown men at Old Ashongman
- Commonwealth Games: Joseph Paul Amoah wins bronze in men’s 200m event
- Fire outbreak in Kronum community in Ashanti, 1 trapped
- Commonwealth and Mensah Sarbah Hall clash: Persons found culpable will be sanctioned – UG Management
- Joseph Commey misses out on Commonwealth Games boxing gold after falling sick on fight eve
- Commonwealth and Mensah Sarbah clash: Police deployed to UG campus
- Commonwealth Games: Sports Minister asks for report on Ghana’s disqualification from men’s 4x100m
- 18-year-old dies in Kronum fire while attempting to salvage father’s property
- Akufo-Addo commissions North East RCC Administration block
- Getting rid of defaulting political parties by EC is in the right direction – CDD-Ghana
KNUST Senior High Old Students launch endowment fund to support alma mater
Bundesliga: Borussia Dortmund tempering great expectations after holding off Bayer Leverkusen
5 SMEs begin business development training at Recycle Up! Ghana
Kronum-Afrancho fire: 18-year-old SHS student burnt to death
Ghanaians must apologize to Moesha Buduong – Efe Keyz
Parties at loggerheads must not be compelled to engage in ADR mediation – Martin Nwosu
Asogli State ushers in 2022 Te Za with hiking on Adaklu Mountain
‘Your footprints will remain indelible in North East’ – Nayiri applauds Akufo-Addo
Insurance Industry to launch 2022 nation-wide blood donation campaign on Aug 9
Women should be advocates for Alternative Disputes Resolution – Dr. Korang
MyHelp-YourHelp Foundation organises free health screening at Ashiaman
Akufo-Addo commissions North East YEA multipurpose office
University of Ghana set to hold public discussion on academic freedom
‘Breaking the 8’ is possible but requires unity, peace among all party members – Dr Adutwum
Ghana finish 7th as Nigeria storm to 4x100m gold in Commonwealth Games women’s relay