Audio By Carbonatix
Brazil captain Neymar has been handed a four-match ban, ruling him out of the remainder of this year's Copa America.
The striker was dismissed at the end of Brazil's defeat by Colombia on Wednesday for his part in a fracas after the final whistle.
CONMEBOL said in a statement it had suspended him "as a consequence of his dismissal and incidents after" the match at Santiago's Monumental Stadium. Chilean referee Enrique Osses said in his report of the match that Neymar had waited for him in the tunnel and insulted him as he headed for the dressing rooms.
CONMEBOL, which also fined the player $10,000, said Brazil had the right to appeal. The South Americans have one remaining group match, against Venezuela on Sunday and could then face three knockout matches if they reach the final.
Neymar was central to the fracas at Monumental Stadium two days ago. After the final whistle he kicked the ball hard at an opponent. Colombia reacted angrily and almost every player on the pitch was involved in pushing and shoving. Colombia's Carlos Bacca was also shown a red card and had been suspended for two matches, CONMEBOL said.
Neymar's absence will be a huge loss not just for Brazil but for the entire tournament. Along with Argentina's Lionel Messi, he is the biggest name. He inspired Brazil to victory over Peru in their first Copa game before being frustrated by the Colombians in a tetchy re-run of their World Cup quarter-final last year.
Neymar was taken off the ground on a stretcher with a broken vertebrae after a clumsy challenge by Colombia defender Juan Zuniga and in his absence, Brazil lost their semi-final 7-1 to Germany.
-
Latest Stories
-
India’s clean energy leadership in green hydrogen
6 minutes -
Ghana’s Road Safety Crisis: We must move from reaction to prevention
9 minutes -
Duncan-Williams urges Church to educate Ghanaians on dangers of galamsey and gold smuggling
19 minutes -
New Defence Minister pledges technology-led defence posture
24 minutes -
India and Africa: Relations beyond rhetorics
27 minutes -
Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote
27 minutes -
‘I’m not against enforcing the law’ – Archbishop Duncan-Williams defends call for prayer against galamsey, gold smuggling
32 minutes -
Tantalus or Triumph? Ghana and the Harvest of Economic Recovery
40 minutes -
Ghanaians have no idea how much foreigners make from galamsey – Archbishop Duncan-Williams
1 hour -
Today’s front pages: Monday, August 17, 2026
1 hour -
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
1 hour -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
4 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
4 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
4 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
4 hours