The Ghana cedi is expected to remain relatively stable against the US dollar this week as risk-off investor sentiment cools off.
Demand for US dollar last week outstripped supply despite a slowing inflation. This caused the cedi to fall to levels seen in the second quarter of 2023.
The Bank of Ghana provided $20 million in the 36th bi-weekly foreign exchange auction to the Bulk Oil Distribution Companies, but this was insufficient to slowdown the rising corporate demand.
The local currency lost marginally (0.46%) to the US dollar last week. Conversely, it gained 0.17% the pound, but remained stable against the Euro.
So far this year, the cedi has lost about 11.6% to the dollar in the retail market and about 22% to the American greenback on the retail market.
The Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) reported a significant drop in inflation for August23 to 40.1%. The cooling print was attributed to decreased food inflation, which dropped from 55% to 51.9%.
Additionally, Fitch Solutions has revised its forecast for the Ghana cedi for the end of the year 2023, predicting it will reach ¢11.40/$ instead of the initial forecast of ¢12.40/$.
This analysts anticipate the cedi to move gently as risk-off investor sentiment cools off.
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: I am here for Ghanaians, not NPP or NDC – Stonebwoy
- GPL 2023/24: Hearts of Oak beat 10-man Nsoatreman; Aduana beat Medeama
- Ghanaian youngster Raymond Anokye Asante scores in back-to-back games after injury return
- Ghanaian winger Joseph Paintsil scores first goal in Genk’s dramatic draw against Truidense
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw
- Playback: The Law discusses how to avoid contempt of court
- D-Black’s TV show, Uncut, hits the screens in November
- Leaked tape scandal: Supt. George Asare invites 3 witnesses to testify against IGP
- Radio Ada journalist on trial over publication of fake news about McDan is dead
- Kwame Dadzie: Our celebrities should stage ‘demo’ on creative arts matters too