Valentine’s Day is celebrated annually to affirm love and affection to partners, family and friends.
But the season also offers sales opportunities for traders to maximise profits by stocking items in the red flavour.
Anita Serwaa Adzoga reports chocolates are featuring prominently in the sale of Valentine products in Kumasi.
Apart from red clothing, flowers, teddy bears and wine, chocolates are among the favourite items of gifting among Ghanaians in celebrating Valentine’s Day.
Since 2007, Ghana has celebrated Valentine’s Day as National Chocolate Day to promote the consumption of chocolate and other cocoa products among the population.
The idea has caught on with Ghanaians, as many buy chocolates and other cocoa products for their loved ones.
Adwoa Benedicta, a trader, is cashing in on the season by selling chocolates.
“The chocolate business is really booming, it was slow last year, but sales have been good this year,” Adwoa Benedicta said.
Other traders say customers often request the inclusion of chocolates in Valentine hampers.
“All my customers who purchase valentine hampers, want chocolate included in their gifts and this has really helped my business this year,” Aunty Philo noted.
A number of businesses take advantage of the season of love to make a good profit from the sale of packaged Valentine gifts.
Some traders who spoke to LuvBiz say discounted prices on preferred products help increase sales.
“During Valentine’s Day my customers always prefer that I give a 20 to 30% discount rather than a hamper, so they can choose what they want” Michelle Apanga, C.E.O of Laam Shea revealed.
But how are traders planning to celebrate Valentine Day?
Maame Akua, a tomato seller said, “Valentine’s day is for the young folks, so there’s no need to celebrate it”. Another also said, “We will celebrate it in the market”.
Love is in the air!
- If you can do these 4 things together, your relationship is going to last
- 5 reasons to stop searching for your soulmate and what to do instead
- Arthur Kobina Kennedy: The people’s movement on the street
- Ghana to leverage on funerals to boost local tourism – Tourism Minister
- Tory Lanez ‘scared for his life’ in prison after Megan Thee Stallion shooting
- Samples from ‘most dangerous known rock in the Solar System’ brought to Earth
- 5 hard-to-talk-about things I wish I knew before agreeing to an open relationship
- NPP National Youth Wing commends government development efforts amid demonstration
- Writers Guild, studios reach tentative deal, potentially ending monthslong strike that ground Hollywood to a halt
- Russian man imprisoned 22 years ago escapes on the day of his release
- 8 people describe the exact moment they knew they found someone worth the risk
- Bankye ampesi reduces risk of colon cancer
- Stop romanticizing the past so you can enjoy your life
- Woman who held 16 jobs simultaneously for three years never actually did any work
- The 5 potential stages of a breakup, according to relationship experts