Audio By Carbonatix
Congo's government and Rwanda-backed rebels said on Thursday they would send delegations back to Qatar for peace talks, as Washington pushes for an end to fighting that could help unlock billions in mining investments.
M23 holds more territory than ever before in eastern Congo after staging a lightning advance earlier this year.
The fighting, the latest flare-up in a conflict with roots in the Rwandan genocide three decades ago, has killed thousands of people and displaced hundreds of thousands more.
U.S. President Donald Trump's administration is trying to broker a peace deal between Rwanda and Congo that would bring billions of dollars of Western investment to a region rich in tantalum, gold, cobalt, copper, lithium and other minerals.
Qatar is hosting a separate but parallel mediation effort with delegations from the Democratic Republic of Congo government and M23.
Last week, the Rwandan and Congolese foreign ministers signed a peace accord in Washington, pledging to implement a 2024 deal that would see Rwandan troops withdraw from eastern Congo within 90 days.
The top diplomats also met with Trump, who invited Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi and Rwandan counterpart Paul Kagame to Washington to sign a package of deals that Massad Boulos, Trump's senior adviser for Africa, dubbed the "Washington Accord".
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Boulos said the Trump administration would "love" to hold that meeting at the end of July. But he also said U.S. officials hope to have a deal in Doha finalised by then.
SLOW PROGRESS
At a press conference on Thursday, their first since last week's signing ceremony in Washington, an M23 official said rebel delegates would return to Doha but accused Kinshasa of not taking the process seriously.
"Since the signing of the Washington agreement, we have been contacted three times by the Qatari mediator to resume dialogue," said Benjamin Mbonimpa, one of the M23 delegates who has taken part in the Doha dialogue.
The rebels are still insisting on progress on preconditions such as the release of imprisoned M23 fighters and the reopening of banks in rebel-held territory, he said.
Congo's presidency said in a statement to Reuters that government delegates were also returning to Doha.
The latest report by a panel of United Nations experts, obtained this week by Reuters, said Rwanda has exercised command and control over M23 during their advance.
Rwanda has denied backing M23 militarily, and a government spokesperson said this week the report "misrepresents Rwanda's longstanding security concerns" in eastern Congo, notably the presence of ethnic Hutu militiamen linked to the 1994 genocide.
Despite remaining hurdles to ending the long-running conflict, Boulos said on Wednesday he was "optimistic" because Tshisekedi and Kagame were serious about reaching a deal.
Latest Stories
-
T-bills auction: Interest rates fell sharply to 6.4%; government exceeds target by 170%
1 hour -
Weak consumption, high unemployment rate pose greater threat to economic recovery – Databank Research
2 hours -
Godfred Arthur nets late winner as GoldStars stun Heart of Lions
3 hours -
2025/26 GPL: Chelsea hold profligate Hearts in Accra
3 hours -
Number of jobs advertised decreased by 4% to 2,614 in 2025 – BoG
3 hours -
Passenger arrivals at airport, land borders declined in 2025 – BoG
3 hours -
Total revenue and grant misses target by 6.7% to GH¢187bn in 2025
3 hours -
Africa’s top editors converge in Nairobi to tackle media’s toughest challenges
5 hours -
Specialised courts, afternoon sittings to tackle case delays- Judicial Secretary
5 hours -
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
6 hours -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
6 hours -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
6 hours -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
7 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
7 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
7 hours
