Audio By Carbonatix
An employee at a quarantined hotel in New Zealand has been sacked after what officials described as an inappropriate encounter with a person who should have been isolating.
Officials say the pair shared notes, including one written on a facemask, before spending 20 minutes in a room together.
Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said it was "unacceptable".
People returning to New Zealand have to spend at least 14 days in isolation.
The country has been hailed as one of the world's leaders in containing the virus. It has recorded 25 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic.
Earlier this week, it reported its first case of Covid-19 outside of quarantine facilities in more than two months.
Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Mr Hipkins said he had been informed of the incident at the hotel in Auckland shortly after it happened earlier this month and had called for a "thorough investigation".
"I didn't enquire specifically into the nature of the encounter, but the fact it was a 20-minute encounter, it was long enough for me to be unacceptable," he said.
He added that the staff member had brought a bottle of wine to the room.
"We are dealing with human beings... I cannot control the actions of every individual, but we absolutely make it clear what the rules are," he said.
The minister added that he was confident it was a "one-off, isolated incident".
Brigadier Jim Bliss, the head of managed isolation and quarantine, said the employee had been sent home and told to self-isolate following the incident, and was later fired. The returning traveller was given a formal written warning by police, reports say.
Both returned negative Covid-19 tests before and after the incident.
Brig Bliss said the actions of the two people - who have not been publicly named - were "incredibly irresponsible and extremely disappointing".
Latest Stories
-
NPP sets August 31 to September 3 for vetting of national officer aspirants
14 minutes -
Can Chairman Wontumi contest NPP National Chairman?
16 minutes -
NPP 2026 National Officers Elections: Nomination window ends with 50 aspirants in race for nine positions
28 minutes -
Labadi Beach Hotel marks 35 years with plans for new investments and developments
31 minutes -
Was Afenyo-Markin’s GoldBod criticism justified or exaggerated?
31 minutes -
Energy Commission, Ghana Hotels Association train Bono East hoteliers on energy efficiency
43 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Boa Amponsem roars into one-eighth as Berekum SHS, Bolgatanga Girls’ bow out from prelims
45 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Asanteman SHS books one-eighth spot as Senya SHS’s 2nd bid ends in heartbreak
56 minutes -
GHS unveils new framework to improve Ghana’s preparedness for health emergencies
1 hour -
Suspected robber crashes stolen taxi into traders while fleeing mob at Ejisu
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Kumasi Academy secures one-eighth spot after commanding win over Bueman SHS, Hohoe EP SHS
2 hours -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair: Day 2 ends on high note as patrons enjoy exciting discounts
2 hours -
Big Push: Upper West MPs inspect N12 works, optimistic improved roads will curb robberies
3 hours -
India is turning to ancient water systems as modern ones run dry
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Anum Presby survive tense battle to deny St. Charles Minor Sem. one-eighth spot
3 hours