Audio By Carbonatix
A democracy advocacy group, Community Focus Foundation Ghana (CFF-Ghana), has condemned the acts of violence witnessed during the rerun at 19 polling stations at Ablekuma North Constituency on Friday, 11th July 2025.
The rerun recorded one of the blizzard moments in Ghana’s democratic space, where journalists and politicians were attacked unprovoked by unidentified individuals and security officers.
“We strongly protest the violent attacks in which some citizens, including Hon. Mavis Hawa Koomson, former Member of Parliament for Ewutu Senya East and Deputy National Organiser of the NPP, and Chris Lloyd Nii Kwei Asamoah, were brutally beaten at Ablekuma North," said Director of Community Focus Foundation Ghana, Richard Kasu.

He further indicated that "the unprovoked assault on Kwabena Agyekum Banahene, a journalist with GHOne TV (a subsidiary of the EIB Network), by a supposed police officer is equally condemned.”
JOYNEWS digital journalist Sally Martey was also not spared, as she was assaulted during violent scenes at the Ablekuma North constituency parliamentary rerun.
He expressed worry at the “unresponsive” conduct of the police, who were detailed without riot control tools, during the disturbing occurrences.
Mr. Kasu entreated the police to take immediate steps to arrest persons identified to have participated in the unacceptable acts and ensure they face the law duly.
He recounted similar electoral violence, mostly as a result of political disagreements, questioning the country’s commitment to democratic principles and its bid to protect the country’s peace and coexistence.
Mr. Kasu, therefore, advocated for the strict enforcement of the Anti-Vigilantism law to prevent future electoral violent clashes and ensure that persons who flout the law are arrested and prosecuted.
“We further call on the government to support the review of the 2024 general elections by the relevant institutions, including Civil Society Organisations (CSOs), with the view of identifying electoral gaps, including violent concerns and putting in place robust mitigation measures to prevent the same so far as future elections are concerned,” he concluded.
Latest Stories
-
Blackouts put the lives of Nkawie SHTS students and staff at risk – Headmistress
16 minutes -
People suffering from mental health issues are not cursed – Regional Health Director
24 minutes -
We have no agenda to unseat Lawyer Kwabena Boateng – Ejisu NPP Chairman
27 minutes -
Health authorities warn public against increasing hypertension-related deaths in the Ashanti Region
33 minutes -
5th West Africa Pharma and Healthcare Expo 2026 slated for June 8
34 minutes -
UK banking expert says banks are too profitable; proposes ‘bank tax’, others
37 minutes -
Students of Mantukwa basic forced to study under trees for over a year after rainstorm destroyed classroom block
43 minutes -
“If you insult government, we will take it on board” – Tanko-Computer warns
56 minutes -
Create open African market to accelerate connectivity – Telecel Business Director
2 hours -
Gold Fields Lease Renewal: Why the IEA’s case for resource nationalism fails the reality rest
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund unveils ambitious plan to transform sports development nationwide
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund to porioritise grassroots sports, talent identification and infrastructure development
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund engages stakeholders on revenue mobilisation, transparency and sustainable sports financing
2 hours -
Albert Bondah named Media & PR Manager for 2026 Ghana Comedy Awards
2 hours -
NPP questions Circuit Court 9 ruling in Abronye DC case
2 hours