Despite the impact of covid-19 on the economy, Ecobank Ghana registered an impressive 22% growth in profit for last year.
This is due to a significant increase in interest income during the period.
According to its 2020 Financial Statement, the bank’s Return on Equity- an important profitability indicator for shareholders- also grew by 26.0%.
Ecobank which is Ghana’s biggest bank according to the 2020 PwC Banking Survey benefited tremendously from interest in investments and loans last year as it shot up by 26% yeaar-on-year to GH ¢1.55 billion.
The strong growth in earnings resulted in an increased earnings per share of GH ¢1.69 in December 2020, compared with GH ¢1.40 pesewas a year ago. This means shareholders of the bank will be smiling with additional 29 pesewas gains.
Importantly, the bank was able to reduce its provision for bad debt, from about GH¢215 million in December 2019 to GH¢178 millionlast year.
The balance sheet size stood a little over GH ¢29.3 billion, cementing its position as Ghana’s biggest bank.
It customer deposits grew by 21% to hit GH¢11.3 billion at the end of December 2020.
In terms of stability of the bank, non-performing loans fell to a low 6.20%, lower than the industry average of 15.5%.
Capital Adequacy Ratio-a measurement of a bank’s available capital to its Risk Weighted Assets, was way above the industry average at 19.10% in December 2020, signifying a stronger bank.
Overall, the bank is highly liquid as customers can easily demand for their deposits anytime, any day.
|Return on Average Assets||3.8%|
|Return on Average Equity||26%|
|Non Funded Income to Total Income||25.9%|
Financial Highlights September 2019 – September 2020
|Profit before Tax||543.8m||441.9m||22%|
- CCTV footage shows final moment of student-journalist who was killed in a hotel
- Armed robbers kill police officer, eyewitness and injure bullion van driver at Korle-bu
- Auditor General indicts former Nhyieso MP over failure to recover ¢500k of Assembly’s Common Fund
- FixTheCountry case adjourned over late filing of documents
- BoG was right to decline Parliament invitation; BSDI law is clear – Banking Consultant
- Nkrumah was playful, not a dictator – Former lady-in-waiting to Fathia Nkrumah
- GPL: Asante Kotoko beat Inter Allies in five-goal thriller
- Government to borrow ¢2.9bn in fresh funds between June and August 2021
- Ghana set to produce its own vaccine – Presidential Advisor on Health
- Sir John’s funeral: Government begins monitoring persons who participated – Nsiah Asare
NDC MPs didn’t boycott vetting of Mensah Korsah – Mahama Ayariga
Messi scores stunner in Argentina draw as Copa America pay spectacular tribute to Maradona
We’ll stop escorting your cash if you don’t acquire armoured bullion vans – IGP warns banks
KCL does not owe GH¢55million – NLA dismisses claims
MTN Ghana hands over ¢300k Blood Bank to Cape Coast Teaching Hospital
Behind the scenes: Stephen Appiah and Laryea Kingston when #EurosOnMGL cameras are off
How to frustrate Spain 101: Sweden pass the test
IGP must retire for a more enthusiastic officer to take over – Security Analyst
The Ghana Premier League is revelling in one of its greatest title races – so who wins?
Playback: PM Express discusses Labour unrest: Why so many strikes?
Surge in daylight robbery cases not surprising – Security analyst
TUTAG strike: Students of various technical universities bearing brunt
Bullion van attack at James Town: IGP directs CID to take over investigation
FixTheCountry protestors re-emerge with #WeGoDemonstrate on social media after murder of police officer
Bawumia tasks Sports Ministry to institute National Fitness Day