Audio By Carbonatix
The Wenchi High Court will on December 17, 2020, give its verdict on the Sene West parliamentary election dispute.
The petition was presented before the court by the New Patriotic Party (NPP)'s parliamentary candidate Joseph Markay Kuma after he expressed dissatisfaction with electoral irregularities in the constituency.
The party requested an injunction on the declaration of the parliamentary results in order to review the outcomes of the elections in the constituency.
Meanwhile, Member of Parliament for North Tongu constituency, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has indicated that the NDC won the parliamentary seat for Techiman South and the Sene West constituency.
According to him, the NDC has won 138 instead of 136 parliamentary seats as purported by the Electoral Commission (EC).
Mr Ablakwa, however, cautioned the EC to respect the decision of the electorates.
He said, “respect the people’s verdict and mandate. Don’t usurp the will of the people. We have the majority. We have 138. Techiman South and Sene West belong to the NDC. We have won convincingly.”
“If they want us to cooperate at inauguration, midnight from January 6, 2021, allow us choose our Speaker. Let the Majority be accorded what it is due so far as the constitution is concerned,” he added.
In this regard, the Lawyers for Joseph Markay Kuma withdrew their motion of injunction on the declaration of the results as filed in their petition.
The court has, however, awarded a cost of ¢6,000 against the NPP parliamentary candidate for withdrawing their petition for the interlocutory injunction.
Latest Stories
-
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
34 minutes -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
47 minutes -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
48 minutes -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
1 hour -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
1 hour -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
1 hour -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
2 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
3 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
3 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
4 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
5 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
5 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
5 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
5 hours