Sound Engineer Prince Nana Poku, popularly known as Ashes, has revealed that while Ghanaian radio stations and night clubs play Nigerian songs, they don’t do same there.
According to him, Nigerians are always interested in patronising their music unlike Ghanaians who rather prefer foreign products.
Speaking on Daybreak Hitz on Hitz FM with KMJ, Ashes who also doubles as an artiste manager, said Nigerians have a culture of purchasing their own.
Known to have worked with artistes like 2Face, Timaya, Akatakyie, Kwabena Kwabena and Nacee, he said, “The Nigerians have a culture of patronising their own, no matter what it is, theirs is always first. It’s a Nigerian centred mind, so they would promote theirs first before others would be looked at.”
According to him, “In the year 2005 and 2006, our production was good so we were trying to penetrate. I quite remember I did a lot of compilation back in my studio at Kwame Nkrumah Circle with some musicians and we put our heads together thinking of how we will penetrate the Nigerian market," added the artiste manager, who is also a panelist on the Showbiz Review segment of Daybreak Hitz.
Ashes also noted that previously, Nigerians admired the Ghanaian music videos and wanted to copy but left after they gained the needed knowledge.
“If you go to a Nigerian club, you can sit there and drink, drink, drink and maybe one or two Ghanaian music is what you will hear,” he lamented.
He added that “The Ghanaian music influence was heavy back then because they did not know and understand what we were doing in-terms of our music video. When you travel to Nigeria and you are talking to them, they were super excited and they wanted to know, learn and copy, but when they got what they wanted from us, they left us.”
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Creative arts industry is an orphan - Kwaw Ansah
- Abena crowned Ghana’s Most Beautiful 2018
- Watch: Shatta Wale releases video for ‘My Level’ hit song
- Popular actor narrates how he lived with a ghost for 3 months
- Photos from Kufuor’s 80th birthday celebrations
- Joy FM presents perfect family getaway on Dec 22
- Beyoncé sings at A-list Indian wedding
- Kevin Hart steps down as Oscars host after 3-day controversy
- Hajia 4Real ‘shows boobs’ in King Promise, Wizkid video
- Shatta Wale sabotaging BHIM concert - Stonebwoy
- Buju Banton released from US prison
- Video/Photos: Wendy Shay hosts Farmers' Day edition of AM Show
- Stop disrespecting me - Stonebwoy warns Shatta Wale
- My song more popular than I but I'll catch up - ‘Do The Dance’ singer
- Video: If ‘chaff’ songs work for Shatta Wale, he should continue - Jupitar