Audio By Carbonatix
Ukraine's commander-in-chief has said the situation on the frontline has worsened in the face of multiple Russian attacks.
Oleksandr Syrskyi said Ukrainian forces had withdrawn from positions in the eastern Donetsk region.
Russia is trying to take advantage of its superiority in manpower and artillery before Ukrainian forces get much-needed supplies of new US weapons.
The US last week agreed a $61bn (ÂŁ49bn) package of military aid for Ukraine.
But new US weapons are yet to make their way to the frontlines, where Ukrainian troops have been struggling for months with a shortage of ammunition, troops and air defences.
"The situation at the front has worsened," Gen Syrskyi said in a post on the Telegram messaging service on Sunday.
He confirmed Ukrainian forces had withdrawn from some of their positions in an area of Donetsk that had formed part of a defensive line, established after Russia captured Avdiivka in February.
Much of the fighting has been taking place around Chasiv Yar, a Kyiv-controlled stronghold which Russia has been trying to reach after seizing Avdiivka.
New defensive lines had been taken up further to the west in some areas, with Gen Syrskyi conceding the loss of territory to the advancing Russians.
Moscow had secured "tactical successes in some sectors," he said.
Gen Syrskyi added that rested Ukrainian brigades were being rotated in those areas to replace units that had suffered losses.
Russia's defence ministry earlier on Sunday reported its troops had captured the village of Novobakhmutivka, around 10 km (6 miles) north of Avdiivka.

Gen Syrskyi became commander-in-chief of the country's armed forces in February.
It followed speculation about a rift between his predecessor, Valerii Zaluzhnyi, and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.
Earlier this month, Gen Syrskyi warned the battlefield situation in the east of the country had "significantly worsened".
The commander of Ukraine's National Guard, Oleksandr Pivnenko, said this week that he was expecting an attempt by Russian forces to advance on Kharkiv, Ukraine's second city, which is near the Russian border.
US President Joe Biden this week signed off on a $95bn (ÂŁ76bn) package of aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan after months of gridlock amid opposition to the aid from some in Congress.
The Senate passed a similar aid package in February, but a group of conservatives who oppose new Ukraine support had prevented it from coming to a vote in the House of Representatives.
On Friday, the Pentagon said it would "rush" Patriot air defence missiles and artillery ammunition to Ukraine as part of its new military aid package.
Between February 2022 and January 2024, the US gave Ukraine more than $40bn in military aid, according to German research organisation, the Kiel Institute.
Latest Stories
-
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
49 minutes -
GIPA secures investor leads at Invest Fest 2026
54 minutes -
Ghana’s missing billions: What 16 years of Auditor-General reports show
54 minutes -
Police disown viral flyer on AirPods, earphones use while driving
57 minutes -
Stop using media to challenge judicial decisions – Thaddeus Sory to lawyers
57 minutes -
The next generation expects more than degrees from universities
1 hour -
Ebenezer Dwomoh to stage fourth stand-up comedy special in Kumasi
1 hour -
Central Regional Minister urges traditional leaders to hold public officials accountable Â
1 hour -
Ada Traditional Council suspends four members for defying cancellation of 2026 Asafotufiami durbar
1 hour -
Association of Small-scale Industries, GEA strengthen artisans through mentorship, coaching
1 hour -
Two arrested over alleged galamsey activities in Tanoso
1 hour -
Ghana rises to sixth-largest gold producer globally after record 2025 output
1 hour -
Five injured in road crash at Ahwerase
2 hours -
Ghana needs copyright protection for Kente designs – Agortime-Ziope MP
2 hours -
BDCs lobby NPA for regional fuel depots amid concerns over BOST’s role
2 hours