Audio By Carbonatix
The opening round of matches at the African Cup of Nations has recorded some upsets as the established nations record mixed results.
Though too early to conclude a balance of power or a title tilt, Ghana's Michael Essien reckons that the tournament in Angola is likely to witness more shocks.
Essien, who could only join the Ghana squad on Wednesday in Cabinda after having had his arrival delayed by the wintry weather conditions in London has been reflecting on the competition so far in his personal blog.
The Nations Cup could barely have started with worse tidings as Togo exited from the competition in the wake of last Friday's deadly gun attack on the team bus in Cabinda.
"I will like to express my sincere condolences to the people of Togo for the tragic events at the start of the tournament.
"I hope they can overcome the tragic scenes they witnessed as soon possible.
"Football unites us all and hopefully we can carry on with the tournament peacefully to bring joy and happiness to everyone."
Then came the poor start by three - Nigeria, Cameroon and Algeria - of Africa's 2010 World Cup finalists who have fallen to defeats with Ivory Coast struggling to earn a draw in their opening match as all risk early exits from the competition.
"The best of what I have seen so far is the Mali [Angola-Mali opening game which finished 4-4] comeback," Essien said.
"To come back from 4 – 0 down with 11 minutes to go is a massive achievement by any standard.There will be some more shocks along the way without a doubt."
Essien, who has recovered from a hamstring injury that kept him out for a month is likely to lead the Black Stars when Ghana opens its campaign against pre-tournament favourites, Ivory Coast.
The level of expectation is set to be high as Ghana aim to advance to the quarter-finals and Eesien says the squad is raring to go.
"The Ghana camp is calm and is looking forward to the first game against Ivory Coast.
"You can tell the boys are itching to get going because at tournaments like this you want to get your first game out of the way and settle properly," he said.
Source: Ghanafa.org
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
16 minutes -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
19 minutes -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
21 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
26 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
32 minutes -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
33 minutes -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
39 minutes -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
51 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
53 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
59 minutes -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
1 hour -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
1 hour -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
1 hour -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
1 hour -
Mahama pledges to end double-track system by 2027 through expansion of technical and vocational education
1 hour