Audio By Carbonatix
Michael Essien will only join up with the Ghana squad two days before they begin their campaign for the 2010 Nations Cup, KickOffGhana.com can reveal.
The Chelsea ace is the only player yet to pitch camp with the Black Stars ahead of their first game against Togo on Monday and now it has emerged he will meet the rest of the team directly in Cabinda after plans for him to join them in South Africa had been shelved.
Essien picked up a hamstring injury while playing in the Champions League for Chelsea in December.
Ghana coach Milovan Rajevac is pinning a lot of his hopes on the player's recovery and says all is going well even though it is not yet guaranteed that Essien will play in the opening game especially when he would be joining up with the squad so late.
Rajevac told KickOffGhana.com: "We received a letter from Chelsea and he has finished his treatment. They suggested that he should stay with them for another two days with the club physio and do two days of training with the first team. So he would join us in Angola probably on Saturday."
Source: Kickoff.com
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
17 minutes -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
20 minutes -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
22 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
27 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
33 minutes -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
34 minutes -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
40 minutes -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
52 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
54 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
1 hour -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
1 hour -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
1 hour -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
1 hour -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
1 hour -
Mahama pledges to end double-track system by 2027 through expansion of technical and vocational education
1 hour