Audio By Carbonatix
Liverpool footballer Steven Gerrard admitted throwing three punches during a row over music in a club, but said only one connected, a court has heard.
Police interviews with the player after the row were read out to a jury at Liverpool Crown Court.
The England midfielder told police he had been drinking but he said it was another man, Marcus McGee, who was initially arrogant and aggressive.
The footballer, who denies affray, told police he hit out in self-defence.
Mr Gerrard was in the Lounge Inn in Southport with friends in the early hours of 29 December last year to celebrate Liverpool's 5-1 win over Newcastle United.
In the police interviews the Liverpool captain said he had been drinking lager and enjoyed a "Jammy Donut shot" and said on a drunkenness scale of one to 10 he was about a seven.
Giving a different version of events from Mr McGee, he recalled the row, saying he was given permission by the bar's manageress to pick tracks on the stereo, but said Mr McGee would not let him.
The court heard Mr Gerrard said he wanted to sort the problem out - as he had on other occasions when he had been "mithered" - so went back to discuss the problem with him.
The footballer said he believed Mr McGee was going to attack him.
"He stood up quite aggressively out of his stool and I thought to myself 'I am not going to be able to sort this out in the way I wanted'," he told police.
"I thought he was going to give me a smack," he added.
"He was shouting back and I didn't know what he was saying but he started arguing and I thought he was going to hit me so that's why I threw a punch."
Mr Gerrard admitted throwing three punches but told the police only one connected.
He added he was "gutted about what happened and wanted to round my mates up and get out of there".
The police interview ended with his solicitor, Richard Green, saying Mr Gerrard was "deeply apologetic" about what happened.
John Doran, 29, of Woodlands Road, Ian Gerrard Smith, 19, of Hilary Avenue, and Paul McGrattan, 31, of Linden Drive, all Huyton, have all admitted affray.
Accrington Stanley footballers Robert Grant, 19, of Enstone Avenue, Litherland, and Ian Dunbavin, 28, of Guildford Road, Southport, have also admitted affray.
John McGrattan, 34, of Rimmer Avenue, Huyton, has admitted threatening behaviour after denying affray.
Mr Gerrard is expected to give evidence on Thursday morning.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
15% of maternal mortality deaths in Kumasi are ‘imported’- Health Director
9 minutes -
How Dapper forged my signature, sold my catalogue to foreign label – Shallipopi
4 hours -
Omotola’s heart of gold on display
4 hours -
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
4 hours -
Shipping slows through Strait of Hormuz after tanker attacks, data shows
5 hours -
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
5 hours -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
5 hours -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
5 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
5 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
5 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
6 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
6 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
6 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
6 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
6 hours