Audio By Carbonatix
Officials of the Ministry of Health have revealed that all necessary vaccines are being assembled to be dispatched to Obuasi to curtail any further spread in the Cerebro-Spinal Meningitis (CSM) outbreak.
Earlier investigations proved inconclusive on what strain of Meningitis had plagued the community but the Metropolitan Health Authorities in Obuasi on Tuesday confirmed to Joy News that the strain which had been recorded was Cerebro-Spinal Meningitis or CSM.
So far Fourteen (14) people in the community have been infected with 5 deaths recorded.
Residents of New Estate in Obuasi are asking health authorities to immediately immunize them.
Deputy Health Minister Rojo Mettle-Noono has told Joy News that the strain has been confirmed, it will make for easier dispatch of the vaccines.
Meanwhile the New Patriotic Party (NPP) says it is unhappy at the approach adopted by the Ministry of Health in its response to the outbreak.
Kweku Kwarteng, a Parliamentary aspirant of the NPP for the Obuasi seat said the Ministry of Health and the Municpal Health Directorate should undertake an intensive public education on the disease to conscientise residents of the area about how to avoid contracting the disease.
He said the disease is driving businesses owners out of the town: “Those who trade in the community are pulling out. People have businesses there and people are unwilling to patronize because they do not want to get into that neighbourhood in the first place.”
He therefore called for a more proactive approach to solving what is gradually becoming a crisis.
Source: Joy News/Myjoyonline.com/Ghana
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
25 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
31 minutes -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
37 minutes -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
38 minutes -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
42 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
48 minutes -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
53 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
57 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
1 hour -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
1 hour -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
1 hour -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
1 hour -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
1 hour -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
1 hour -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
1 hour