Audio By Carbonatix
The National Labour Commission (NLC) has advised the Health Workers Group (HWG) to rescind its decision to embark on a strike for better conditions of service and rather address its concerns within the framework of the existing law and ensure compliance.
The Commission pointed out that the group had not exhausted the necessary procedures under the law before announcing its intention to go on strike.
The NLC’s advice was contained in a statement issued in Accra by the Ministry of Health, which asked the health workers to allow it time to deal with the issues, before it, and not take any action that will derail the settlement process.
According to the statement, "the NLC made it clear that the HWG had not satisfied the requirements of Section 159 before serving notice to embark on a strike action, and so any action taken at this time will be in contravention of the law".
The health workers, at a press briefing in November last year said they were giving the government two weeks, (end of November) to announce higher wages they have been expecting since June when the two parties signed a memorandum of understanding on a new salary scheme.
The group said government was only trying to buy time with the proposed setting up of the Fair Wages Commission next year, and it was not going to wait for that.
The group said after negotiations in June, government was to start implementation by September. However, two weeks to the date, government wrote to ask for the end of October to honour its part of the bargain which it again failed to honour.
Source: The Ghanaian Times
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Internet Society Ghana trains persons with disabilities on digital accessibility
3 minutes -
National Service Authority receives GH¢40m for basic military training
6 minutes -
Türkiye’s exports to Africa rise 12.6% to $13.3bn in seven months
1 hour -
Togo detains two French journalists and their Togolese fixer
1 hour -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, August 20, 2026
2 hours -
GIPA, GUTA outline roadmap to protect informal retail space for Ghanaians
2 hours -
GIPA invites investors to maiden ‘Invest Ghana Summit’
2 hours -
Election Watch Ghana to hold national dialogue on Vigilantism and Related Offences Act
2 hours -
The Algorithmic Gavel: Analysing automated customs valuation, ICUMS and the rule of law in international trade
3 hours -
GRIDCo identifies Akosombo–Volta line fault as cause of widespread power outage
3 hours -
Dodowa-Afienya-Dawhenya road project to be completed by December – Contractor
3 hours -
Galamsey fight must go beyond empty slogans; it requires conscious effort – Methodist Church
4 hours -
GoldBod, BoG should share cost of domestic gold programme – Dr Sarkodie
4 hours -
DGPP losses could leave taxpayers to recapitalise BoG – Prof Bokpin
4 hours -
GAUA suspends strike ahead of August 25 meeting with Fair Wages
4 hours