Audio By Carbonatix
An emergency meeting purposed to convince striking health workers in the Greater Accra region to rescind their decision ended up in chaos.
The workers laid down their tools last week to compel government to correct what they termed “disparity in salary.”
The Ministry of Health has directed that all health workers who were not at post as from March 6, 2007 should consider themselves dismissed.
Joy News reporter, Alex Kwabena Mensah, reports from the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital that the meeting has failed to achieve its results. He said the workers are determined to carry on their strike in spite of the consequences.
He stated that though the leadership of the workers has explained that they are still negotiating with the National Labour Commission, the Ministry of Health and the Appellate Body to review their salary structure, the workers are not budged.
Mensah said the leadership accepted responsibility for not conveying to the workers about the latest development and appealed to them to reverse their decision.
“We are not going to work because we feel cheated and victimized. The salaries they announced on air are not reflecting on our pay slips. So we won’t go,” said one of the irate striking workers.
At the time of filing this story, the President of the National Health Workers Union, Mr Raymond Tetteh, said the leadership has resolved to give the striking workers the chance to decide how best the issues could be solved.
“We are waiting somewhere else for them to conclude their discussion. We hope at the end of the day reason will prevail,” he disclosed.
Meanwhile, the workers have called on the Ministry of Health to withdraw its decision to dismiss them while negotiation goes on.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Chief of Staff calls for stronger enforcement of motorcycle safety measures
18 minutes -
Peace Council urges Naaga residents to report extremist activities
19 minutes -
Ghana hosts Africa CDC regional meeting on strengthening health security
20 minutes -
MTN Ghana deepens sustainability drive with focus on waste, digital inclusion
21 minutes -
AMA deploys taskforce to clamp down on drivers charging unapproved fares
22 minutes -
House of Hope receives clothing donation for human trafficking survivors
23 minutes -
KNUST statutes review sparks tensions as some UTAG members threaten strike
24 minutes -
Poor website accessibility could exclude persons with disabilities from essential services
30 minutes -
Internet Society Ghana trains persons with disabilities on digital accessibility
33 minutes -
National Service Authority receives GH¢40m for basic military training
36 minutes -
Türkiye’s exports to Africa rise 12.6% to $13.3bn in seven months
2 hours -
Togo detains two French journalists and their Togolese fixer
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, August 20, 2026
2 hours -
GIPA, GUTA outline roadmap to protect informal retail space for Ghanaians
2 hours -
GIPA invites investors to maiden ‘Invest Ghana Summit’
2 hours