The Ghana Police Service has identified a number of areas where chaos is likely to erupt ahead of the December 7, elections.
The vicinities are categorised into key flashpoints with the Ashanti Region topping with the most districts prone to violence.
The National Commission on Small Arms and Light Weapons has already indicated the relevance of alertness in the country’s overall approach going into the election to ensure that acts of violence are reduced to the barest minimum.
They want these flashpoints to be adequately monitored as various political parties intensify their campaigns in a bid to secure victory in December presidential and parliamentary elections.
What to know about deployment
- 62,794 men to be deployed- Police, Fire Service, Prison Service, Ghana Immigration Service, Customs division of the Ghana Revenue Authority and Ghana Armed Forces
- Security personnel will wear distinctive armbands for easy identification
- BNI, CID to operate without uniforms.
- Approach all polling stations as a hotspot
- Motorbikes not allowed within 100 meters of polling stations
- Rapid Respond Units to e deployed on Standby
- At least one-armed officer at each of the 33000 polling stations
- What to do if you witness electoral violence Police to provide a communications channel
- Response to a distress call to expected within at least 15 minutes.
Top 4 regions with the most electoral violence flashpoints
|REGION||Out of 6178 flashpoints||Out of 4O98 flashpoints|
|Greater Accra Region||500||264|
Top 3 districts in the top 4 regions prone to electoral violence
|Ashante Region||Offinso North AsawaseEffiduase/Asokore||56,5353|
|Central Region||Awutu Senya East Gomoa West Heman Lower Denkyira||72,6151|
|Northern Region||Yendi Tamale Central Gushegu||55,5040|
|Greater Accra Region||Ayawasao Central OdododiodioAblekumah West||50,5030|
- Blunt and Blay: Finding ‘silence’ for Auntie Ohene from uncle Sam’s ‘noise’
- Far from silence, we suffer a culture of noise – Elizabeth Ohene
- NSMQ 2021: Presec beats Achimota, Chemu and Odorgonno SHS to be crowned Regional Champions
- Four charged for violating restrictions on public gathering at Christ Embassy ‘Pneumatica Night’
- Akufo-Addo accepts Kissi Agyebeng’s nomination as Special Prosecutor, seeks Parliamentary approval
- Seatbelt has saved me 3 times – Alban Bagbin
- Police secures restraining order against #FixTheCountry protest on May 9
- Our job is to fix problems; we are fixing them – Bawumia
- Don’t depend on your children when you retire, it’s a “money mistake” – EDC boss
- Playback: NSMQ 2021: Legon PRESEC, Achimota and Odorgonno battle for Greater Accra Regional supremacy
South Africa’s Zulu queen buried
Today’s front pages: Friday, May 7, 2021
FixTheCountry: Is there any country that does not need fixing? – Stephen Amoah quizzes
Demolish structures along ‘Right Of Way’ for railway projects – Otumfuo Osei Tutu II
Innovation Creativity and Entrepreneurship Programme to create opportunity for 140 Young entrepreneurs
Ghana takes delivery of 350,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccines
#FixTheCountry protestors could be NDC – Freddie Blay
Message from the Morning Man: Mrs Awuku’s Kettle
Chiefs urged to remove cultural barriers affecting women’s participation in leadership
Public urged to put political colours aside for national development
What is the big deal? – Bridgette Dzogbenuku on WGHS refusing to let students fast
‘Our ethos was happy music and good vibes’: genre-busting Black British band Osibisa
Remind the public we are not in normal times – Oppong Nkrumah tells Media
76-year-old prophetess burnt to death at Komenda
The youth of Ghana are dissatisfied – Dr Kofi Amoah