Moses Tembe, the father of Anele “Nelli” Tembe, the late girlfriend of slain rapper Kiernan “AKA” Forbes, said on Saturday the family was pained and shocked by his brutal murder.
The prominent businessman said in a statement: “It is with deepest shock that we’ve learnt of the passing of Kiernan.”
Tembe said as a parent he felt “deep pain” for Forbes’ parents Tony and Lynn, his daughter Kairo and the extended family.
“Kiernan was an extraordinarily talented musician. His music contributed meaningfully to South Africa’s rich musical tapestry. We extend our condolences to his extended family his fans.”
Tembe appealed to the public “to show compassion and give the family space, time and respect on all platforms”.
Nelli died in April 2021 after falling to her death apparently from the 10th floor of the Pepperclub Hotel in Cape Town. The circumstances around her death were under investigation.
At the time Tembe told TshisaLIVE the family had “decided not to speculate about police inquiry findings”.
“We have our eyes focused on establishing the Anele Tembe Foundation, which we hope would benefit thousands of young women and parents.”
Tembe said he stood by his statement read out at his daughter’s funeral in Durban in which he rubbished speculation she was suicidal.
“As Anele’s father, I categorically state Anele was neither suicidal nor did she commit suicide. We must as a matter of priority deal with the scourge that bedevils our youth, alcohol which is overused and drugs. Fellow South Africans we better wake up and smell the coffee. We have a serious problem with substance abuse.
“I cannot allow an unfortunate narrative to go unchallenged, a narrative that irks me to no end that is ‘Anele was chronically suicidal’. All I can say is, until Anele turned 21, not a single member of her family, my family would have associated her with suicide,” he said at the time.
- Special Prosecutor secures court order to arrest Charles Bissue
- Arrest of Prof Frimpong-Boateng disrespectful, tone down – Prof Gyampo cautions Special Prosecutor
- Charles Bissue will not turn himself in despite court order for his arrest – Lawyer
- Saglemi: Former Housing Ministry Chief Director wheeled to court to face 43 criminal charges
- Frimpong-Boateng’s arrest by OSP was lawful – Joseph Kpemka
- Ken Ansah wins CEO of the Year again but transfers praise to his talented team
- We need clarification – Bagbin calls for Gyakye Quayson’s name to be retained in Parliament’s records
- Gold for Oil policy cornering BDCs – Dr. Ofori
- Court of Appeal Judge to be investigated for ‘suspicious ruling’
- Ghanaian in US kills himself after shooting wife for allegedly leaving him for her Ex
- Over 28 million SIM cards successfully registered – Communications Minister
- Livestream: Burial service of The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician Modestus Zame underway
- Mahama is a passionate advocate for women and young people – Joyce Bawah Mogtari
- Green Ghana Day: Parliament will not sit today
- GES suspends approval of Tug of War/Pillow Fight in schools
- 2022/23 GPL final day: Medeama and Bechem title tug of war, Hearts of Oak’s relegation threat
- Book of condolence opened for Prof Ama Ata Aidoo
- Anny Osabutey: Farewell and thanks for the memories, BBC Focus on Africa
- KCARP, Dredge Masters and others receive Excellence Awards
- Amaarae’s ‘Fountain Baby’ album out; set to become 1st Ghanaian to perform on NPR Tiny Desk
- I haven’t had any good sleep in 8 weeks – Kumawu MP
- I’m a ‘sugar baby’ — older men pay me to travel the world
- Alan Kyerematen launches donation platforms to support campaign
- Akufo-Addo commissions National Aquaculture Centre and Commercial Farms project
- Over 400 Ghanaian pilgrims to be airlifted to Saudi Arabia from Tamale