Audio By Carbonatix
A former Speaker of Parliament, Prof. Aaron Michael Oquaye, has refuted claims that he was given military protection while serving as Speaker of the seventh Parliament.
In a signed statement issued on Monday, Prof Oquaye described the news as a "palpable" falsehood and should be disregarded.
“I was never offered military protection, nor did I request for any. Indeed, I had only three policemen to move with me and provide security at all material times.
“This information can be easily verified by anyone who cares for the truth at the office of the Clerk-to-Parliament at any given time,” his statement read.
His disclaimer comes amidst the rift over the withdrawal of military attachment to the office of the incumbent Speaker of Parliament.
A leaked document from the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) directed the withdrawal of some four soldiers from the office of the Speaker because they were assigned there “without proper procedure.”
The GAF’s Chief of Staff, Maj. Gen. N. P. Andoh said WOII Apugiba Awine David, S/Sgt Agbley Prosper, WO1 Jafaru Bunwura and Sgt. Bonney Prince’s attachment to Mr Bagbin’s office since he assumed office on January 7, last year, is improper.
“It is humbly requested that the personnel are withdrawn with effect from 14 January 2022 while efforts are made to regularise their attachment,” the January 11 letter stated.
The Minority has, however, kicked against the directive accusing the Akufo-Addo government of acting in bad faith.
They claim the move is politically motivated aimed to derail the confidence of Mr Bagbin.
Meanwhile, Prof Oquaye has pleaded for his name to be left out of the media discourse on the said topic.
Latest Stories
-
OSP’s future may depend on Constitutional Review – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
23 minutes -
Mahama fully backs the OSP – Gov’t rejects secret plot claims
43 minutes -
Study urges balanced expectations for agricultural innovations being developed in Ghana
58 minutes -
Putin says Russia-China ties at unprecedented level, invites Xi to Russia
1 hour -
Woman dies after falling into uncovered New York City manhole
1 hour -
Trump to attend G7 summit in France, Axios reports
1 hour -
UK should set maximum working temperature rules, advisers say
2 hours -
UK loosens Russian oil sanctions as fuel prices rise
2 hours -
‘Ebola has tortured us’: Fear grips eastern DR Congo as deadly virus spreads
2 hours -
Lebanon says 19 killed in Israeli air strikes
2 hours -
Thailand cuts visa-free stay period for more than 90 countries including UK
2 hours -
Man who murdered teen TikTok star in Pakistan gets death sentence
2 hours -
Ebola outbreak may be spreading faster than first thought, WHO doctor warns
3 hours -
Global Youth Network inducts 10 Ghanaians as 20-country tour begins
5 hours -
Lordina Mahama recognised by Merck Foundation for her impactful programmes
5 hours