Audio By Carbonatix
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has visited the disaster zone in his country as criticism grows over the official response.
Families in some badly-hit areas have said the slow speed of rescue efforts means they have had no help digging to find relatives.
President Erdogan has defended the response, saying it's not possible to prepare for disasters of this magnitude.
More than 11,000 people in southern Turkey and northern Syria are now known to have been killed in Monday's earthquakes.
Erdogan acknowledged there'd been difficulties with the initial response but blamed delays on damaged roads and airports.
In Syria, the White Helmet group who are leading efforts to rescue people in rebel-held areas, say time is running out to save people.
Dramatic footage and pictures are continuing to emerge of rescues in both countries.

Cold weather has seriously hampered rescue response - charity worker
Paul Taylor from disaster response charity Re:Act has travelled to Turkey to help with the relief effort.
Speaking to the BBC from Gaziantep, in southern Turkey, he says the cold weather means vehicles like 4x4s have not been able to reach certain areas.
He adds that in his experience of disaster management, the aftermath of any event of this magnitude is "always chaos," but "things will improve" as more aid arrives.
"What we’re seeing at the moment is a localised response, so government officials, police, military, local NGOs and spontaneous volunteers doing what they can," he says, adding that the international community is now arriving too.
"Eventually things will get better," he says.
'Terrifying scenes' in Syrian town of Jindayris
Many of the rescue videos that have emerged from opposition-held north-western Syria since Monday have come from the small town of Jindayris, where around 50 buildings are reported to have collapsed.
On Tuesday, a doctor at a local hospital said a newborn baby girl who was filmed being pulled from the rubble was in a stable condition. Her mother, father, four siblings and aunt did not survive.
Earlier we learnt from the head of the White Helmets, whose volunteer first responders are leading the rescue effort in opposition-held areas, that more than 300 people are now known have been killed in Jindayris alone.
Raed al-Saleh tweeted that 800 others had been injured and warned that there were “terrifying scenes” on the ground.
“A catastrophic situation, destruction everywhere,” he wrote. “Hundreds of families are still under the rubble, and our teams are working with all their energy in the destroyed locations.”
This drone footage showing the devastation in Jindayris was posted by the White Helmets on Tuesday night.
Credit: The BBC
Latest Stories
-
Global oil prices and bond yields rise after Trump warns Iran over stalled peace talks
14 minutes -
Kwegyir Aggrey and Achimota School’s founding myths – Further Reflections
17 minutes -
Kwakye Ofosu accuses Ghana Bar Association of political partiality
18 minutes -
Police could not justify GH₵35.8m bill for 2023 African Games – LOC Chair
28 minutes -
TGMA is not the platform to judge fashion – Nana Akua Addo
29 minutes -
2028 election will be youth-driven—Bawumia
40 minutes -
IGP Yohuno ‘doubles’ police academy intake for officers for Course 54
41 minutes -
We don’t have to go back, 17 times at IMF is enough – Nana Yaa Jantuah
59 minutes -
Current account surplus: quarter one 2026 exceeds 2025 period by US$652m
1 hour -
Lynx quits artiste management, focuses on music distribution and electronics
1 hour -
Opponent watch: Modric headlines as Croatia announce 2026 World Cup squad
1 hour -
NPP members in Tarkwa-Nsuaem to protest over alleged internal electoral irregularities
1 hour -
MPC opens 130th meeting to review Ghana’s economy
1 hour -
UK growth forecast upgraded by IMF but risks remain
1 hour -
Xenophobic attacks: First batch of 300 Ghanaians to be evacuated from South Africa on May 21
1 hour