Audio By Carbonatix
Pope Francis on Sunday, June 9, appealed for peace in Sudan following a bloody crackdown by security forces on pro-democracy protesters in Khartoum last week.
“The news coming from Sudan is giving rise to pain and concern. We pray for these people so that the violence ceases and the common good is sought in the dialogue,” the pope said in his weekly address to crowds in St Peter’s Square.
Opposition medics say 113 people were killed in this week’s violence in the Sudanese capital, while the government has put the death toll at 61, including three members of the security services.
Sudan’s main alliance of opposition groups and protesters have urged workers and employees to stay home on Sunday, launching what it called a campaign of civil disobedience to force military rulers to hand over power to civilians.
Crackdown
A civil disobedience called by Sudanese protest leaders has taken off across the country according to reports on early Sunday, June 9.
Multiple neighbourhoods of the capital Khartoum have been deserted with very little sign of social life. The presence of security agents is however pronounced, the reports added.
The Forces for Freedom and Change, FFC, an umbrella body for protest groups called for the civil disobedience following a chaotic last week that saw a Khartoum sit-in violently dispersed by special forces.
The measure has also affected air travel at the country’s main airport with travellers stranded. Emirates Airlines has also announced a suspension of all flights to Khartoum till Monday, June 10 citing political unrest.
Meanwhile, a major FCC player, the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA) has stressed that it will not return to talks with the ruling junta, the Transitional Military Council (TMC) till its demands are met.
As at today, an internet cut that was imposed mid-week last week continues to be in effect, reports have confirmed. Social media platforms, however, continue to be key in putting out information on ongoings in the country.
A summary of Sudan’s week of deadly chaos and continental concern:
- June 3rd: RSF forces (ex-Janjaweed) forcibly break up Khartoum sit-in
- June 4th: TMC scraps earlier deal with protest group, announces elections in nine months
- June 5th: TMC backtracks on talks, says open to dialogue. Protesters hold out. Eritrea jabs African Union over crisis.
- June 6th: AU suspends Sudan over June 3 crisis, failure to ensure civilian transition. Internet cuts reported
- June 7th: Ethiopia PM Abiy Ahmed meets sides in Khartoum in mediation effort. Protesters call for civil disobedience
- June 8th: Protest leaders reiterate conditions for return to dialogue.
- June 9th: Civil disobedience kicks off.
Latest Stories
-
Slump continues as cedi becomes worst-performing currency in sub-Saharan Africa in 2026
32 minutes -
Petroleum Commission hails 7 Eleven’s indigenous bolt and nut plant as sign of local content growth
41 minutes -
Keta MP offers relief to Afiadenyigba SHS after fire outbreak
49 minutes -
UMaT graduates 95 students, commits to training 1,000 coders
52 minutes -
Modified Taxation Scheme: Ghana’s surest way to inclusive tax administration
1 hour -
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
1 hour -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
2 hours -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
2 hours -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
2 hours -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
2 hours -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
2 hours -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
3 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
3 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
3 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
3 hours