Audio By Carbonatix
Minority Leader in Parliament, Alexander Afenyo-Markin, appears to have softened his earlier threat to pursue legal action over allegations made against him by Ghana Gold Board (GoldBod) Chief Executive Officer, Sammy Gyamfi.
Mr Afenyo-Markin had indicated in a Facebook post that he would seek legal remedies over what he described as defamatory allegations, including claims portraying him as an “extortionist”.
But less than 24 hours later, the Effutu MP adopted a more measured tone when asked whether he would indeed take Mr Gyamfi to court over the comments.
Speaking on JoyNews’ The Probe on Sunday evening, August 23, Mr Afenyo-Markin declined to commit himself to legal action, instead invoking the biblical example of Jesus Christ, who he said remained silent despite being subjected to accusations.
“I have made certain statements. I would rely on them without more. Don't rush. In the Bible, Jesus was accused; wild allegations. He kept quiet and watched them. He could have done anything.”
He said he was conscious of the expectations placed on him as Minority Leader and would not allow emotions to dictate his response to the attacks.
“But you see, when you are dealing with situations, the people of Ghana expect a certain level of maturity from me. The people of Ghana see that this is an accomplished businessman. He's been in the space for some time. He's leading a group. The tradition of the party NPP that I lead expects a certain level of conduct.”
Mr Afenyo-Markin stressed that he did not intend to be drawn into what he described as a political strategy aimed at distracting attention from the substantive issues surrounding the Bank of Ghana’s Domestic Gold Purchase Programme (DGPP).
“So if I would be carried away with emotions, I would fail. It's not an emotional game. It's not a game that somebody attacks you, you should also react. No, you won't get it.”
“There is always a bait in politics, and don't underestimate it. Opponents also have a strategy,” he added.
The Minority Leader suggested that the attacks against him could be part of an attempt to shift public attention away from questions over the reported losses associated with the DGPP and GoldBod’s role in the transactions.
“I was a majority leader. I know how government operates. I know how government can divert attention. So I've been there. Because the government must hold itself together, so it can be thrown in today's social media. Let's divert attention. Let's stain the man.”
‘I won’t be the first Minority Leader to suffer attacks’
Mr Afenyo-Markin also sought to put the controversy in the broader context of the political pressures that come with serving as Minority Leader.
He cited the experience of current Majority Leader and former Minority Leader, Dr Cassiel Ato Forson, who faced criminal proceedings while serving in opposition.
“In opposition, like I said, was Ato Forson not in court? Was his not worse than my situation? Do you get what I mean?”
He said he remained focused on the mandate given to him by the New Patriotic Party (NPP) and would continue scrutinising the government despite the attacks.
“So, as for this game, I want to assure the party that the mandate they gave me, God willing, that mandate will be discharged. We will work hard. The people of Ghana expect us to do nothing less. They expect us as a minority to be forthright, to work hard, to hold the feet of government to the fire, we will do that.”
He acknowledged that political opponents were entitled to criticise him but warned against what he described as excessive and unacceptable language.
“You know, we are in a political environment; people are free to oppose or disagree. But what the political environment cannot tolerate is the excesses there too. I have become aware of certain unacceptable language being put out there.”
According to Mr Afenyo-Markin, he and members of the Minority Caucus had already taken appropriate steps over the comments but would not allow the controversy to derail their scrutiny of the government.
“I believe that I've taken appropriate steps together with my colleagues in the caucus, and we don't want to fall into any bait of diversion.”
He insisted that the Minority’s concerns over the DGPP and reported losses associated with it were a matter of national interest rather than a partisan political attack.
“This is an important national issue. It is not a partisan call. It is a patriotic call being made by a vigilant minority, however few our numbers.”
Focus shifts back to GoldBod losses
Mr Afenyo-Markin said the Minority would remain focused on its planned parliamentary inquiry into the reported losses under the gold purchase programme.
“We want to focus. We promised the people of Ghana that we would file a motion; we have filed that motion.”
He said he was prepared for the personal attacks that could accompany his position as Minority Leader.
“Look, I won't be the first minority leader to suffer attacks.”
He recounted a conversation with a colleague in which they discussed the political risks faced by opposition leaders in other jurisdictions.
“And I said, oh, sir, in other jurisdictions, minority leaders have been arrested. They are in jail. In other jurisdictions, minority leaders are made to report to investigative agencies all the time.”
He again referenced Dr Ato Forson’s experience under the previous government.
“In any event, you remember, even my good friend, Ato Forson, was facing charges in court, and NDC appointed him minority leader. He was attending court two times, three times.”
Mr Afenyo-Markin said he understood the responsibilities that came with his position and was prepared to face whatever challenges arose.
“So, I'm very clear on my mind. The very day I took this job, I knew the weight of it. Everything is on me. I'm ready to live up to the task. I rely on my God, and I thank the party for the support.”
He said the immediate priority was to secure parliamentary approval for the Minority’s motion seeking an inquiry into the reported GoldBod losses.
“All other things that will come, we will deal with it. Tomorrow we are resuming, we pray that the motion will be admitted. We argue, set up the ad hoc committee so that within the period of break, at least there will be hearing so that by October before we read the 2027 budget.”
Mr Afenyo-Markin expressed hope that the committee’s work would be completed in time for its findings to inform consideration of the 2027 Budget.
“I hope by that time the report will be ready, and once it is ready, the good people of Ghana will see.”
He also called for the proceedings to be broadcast live to the public.
“But I pray for a live broadcast of the hearing. We expect that once the motion is carried, there will be a full public hearing of these GoldBod losses.”
The latest comments mark a noticeably more restrained position from Mr Afenyo-Markin following his earlier declaration that he would pursue legal remedies over the allegations against him. Rather than committing to court action, he now appears intent on allowing the controversy to run its course while keeping the focus on the parliamentary scrutiny of the GoldBod transactions.
Latest Stories
-
TikTok to pay $400m to US in one of largest child privacy settlements
18 minutes -
Asante Kotoko management doesn’t involve me in supporters mobilization – McBrown
21 minutes -
Frustration builds in Indiana town struggling without power for 12 days
29 minutes -
‘Jesus was accused; he kept quiet’ – Afenyo-Markin softens stance on legal action against Gyamfi
41 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Accra High steals one-eighth ticket from Sunyani SHS in stunning final-round twist
42 minutes -
Kejelcha breaks men’s half marathon world record by 29 seconds
42 minutes -
Nkoko Nkitinkiti programme has failed – Afenyo-Markin claims
1 hour -
NDC yet to deliver key 2024 campaign promises – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
Adamus welcomes 12-month roadmap to revive mine, restore investor confidence
2 hours -
T-bills: Government records 162% oversubscription, interest rates slump
2 hours -
UPSA moves to turn student research into market-ready solutions
2 hours -
Presby SHS, Suhum honour late coordinator with dominant One-Eighth qualification
3 hours -
NDC Volta team tracks development projects across four districts
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Monica’s SHS snatch one-eighth ticket from Amenfiman SHS in dramatic showdown
3 hours -
Why celebrate $2.62bn FDI while losing $1.7bn under the Domestic Gold Programme? IERPP asks
3 hours