The Bekwai legislator Joseph Osei-Owusu has been appointed First Deputy Speaker for the 8th Parliament.
The Bekwai MP was nominated by the Majority leader, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu on the Floor Parliament Thursday, after the newly elected MP-elects were sworn in.
The Majority Leader said the nominee who was the First Deputy Speaker of the 7th Parliament proved to be a progressive colleague hence the decision to work with him in the same capacity again.
Minority Leader Haruna Iddrisu who seconded the nomination also lauded the efforts of the man popularly known as ‘Joe Wise.’
Mr Joseph Osei-Owusu stood unopposed for the position of First Deputy Speaker of Parliament.
Following proceedings in the House, newly elected Speaker Alban Bagbin officially named Joseph Osei-Owusu as First Deputy Speaker of Parliament.
The Speaker said having worked with Mr Osei-Owusu, he has trust that he is a good choice who will deliver.
“I now declare the Honourable Leader for Bekwai constituency duly elected as the First Deputy Speaker of this house.”
Mr Joseph Osei-Owusu was born on January 22, 1962, in Bekwai.
He is a lawyer and politician.
- Parliament approves all six ministerial nominees
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- Playback: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- Cedi depreciates by 22.1% in March 2023 – BoG
- Government makes additional payment for outstanding coupons
- I am not ready to die – Bagbin says as he calls for adjournment of prolonged sitting
- Traitor NDC MPs must do some serious soul-searching and learn to be nationalistic – Mahama
- I am disappointed with NDC MP’s betrayal to pass 6 NPP ministers – Mahama
- After standoff and brief suspension, Parliament regroups to vote on new appointees
- I wanted something that reflected Africa – Sheryl Lee Ralph on why she wore kente to NAACP
- The NDC MP who left her father’s funeral to vote during Ministers’ approval
- NDC condemns MPs who voted for the passing of 6 ministerial appointees
- Chronic kidney patient losing sleep over high cost of dialysis
- Treat tuberculosis as you treat HIV/AIDS – Nabdam MP urges government
- Mississippi tornado kills 23 and brings devastation to US state
- Funeral for woman who died after Asake concert crush
- NDC MPs voted their conscience by passing 6 ministerial nominees – Richard Ahiagbah
- Patricia de Lille says SA Tourism deal with Spurs should be stopped
- Don’t blame NDC minority, Ghanaians passed Akufo-Addo at the polls – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
- Afrobeats’ success has only just started – Killertunes
- Size of government has been reduced drastically – Richard Ahiagbah
- New minority leadership not to blame for passing all 6 ministerial nominees – Prof Appiagyei-Atua
- Ghanaians will be disappointed minority in Parliament did not stick out for them – Prof Appiagyei-Atua
- I am profoundly disappointed but we can still work together to achieve our goals – Minority Leader
- NDC Parliamentary primaries: 2 contenders file to contest incumbent Nabdam MP