Audio By Carbonatix
Juventus thrashed Fiorentina 3-0 on Tuesday to overturn a 2-1 semifinal, first leg deficit and reach the Italian Cup final.
Despite missing star players Carlos Tevez and Paul Pogba, Juve crushed La Viola in the second leg in Florence through goals from Alessandro Matri, Roberto Pereyra and Leonardo Bonucci.
They will face either holders Napoli or Lazio in the final. Those sides are level at 1-1 from the first leg in Rome and meet in Naples on Wednesday.
Juve's deserved victory provided a welcome boost ahead of their Champions League quarterfinal, first leg against Monaco next week.
They simply proved too strong, physically, mentally and technically for Fiorentina.
And with a 14-point lead over second-placed Roma in Serie A, the reigning champions remain on course for a treble, last achieved by Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan in 2010.
Last year, Juve knocked Fiorentina out of the Europa League, winning 1-0 away following a home draw, and once again they proved ruthless on their travels.
Tevez's replacement Matri opened the scoring on 21 minutes after mopping up the loose ball when Pereyra's shot was blocked.
Pereyra was then on hand to knock home the rebound after goalkeeper Neto saved from Alvaro Morata just before halftime.
Due to the away goal rule, Juve went into the game knowing they had to score at least twice to avoid going out but with 45 minutes to play, they were a goal to the good on aggregate.
Bonucci's volley from a corner just before the hour mark killed off the match, with Fiorentina now needing to score three goals to progress as Juve had the away goals advantage at that juncture.
The only black mark for Massimiliano Allegri's men was a red card to Morata three minutes from time for a tackle from behind on Alessandro Diamanti.
-
Latest Stories
-
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
8 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
10 minutes -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
10 minutes -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
11 minutes -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
14 minutes -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
16 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
19 minutes -
Ghana Card is a critical national asset – Interior Minister
44 minutes -
Northern Regional police arrest 24 suspects, retrieve suspected Indian hemp and Tramadol
1 hour -
Speaker urges Commonwealth unity for global stability and security
1 hour -
From GH¢155 billion a year to GH¢500 billion a month! The amazing story of how interoperability in 2018 has driven Ghana’s mobile Money Growth
1 hour -
Ghana Card is gateway to national services – Interior Minister as NIA marks 20 years in operation
1 hour -
Torrential rain submerges 50 houses in Cape Coast
2 hours -
OLAG crowned winners of ACE Spoken Word Contest
2 hours -
Medical and Dental Council worried over growing misconduct complaints against health professionals
2 hours