Ye, the artist formerly known as Kanye West, has begun work on “Donda 2,” a direct follow-up to his 2021 certified gold album “Donda.”
The development was confirmed by Steven Victor to Complex. Victor is currently the chief operating officer of G.O.O.D. Music, the record label founded by West in 2004. Victor is also senior vice president of A&R at Universal Music Group.
“Ye has started working on his new masterpiece, ‘Donda 2,’” Victor said.
If the project is completed, “Donda 2” would mark the eleventh entry and the first sequel album in the rapper’s discography. Details remain scant about the exact nature of the project.
With news of “Donda 2” coming only months after the release of its predecessor, it may be advisable for fans to keep in mind Ye’s notorious history of unreleased albums. The artist is known for being meticulous in his craft, unafraid to punt release dates to continue reworking his music and leave behind creative projects in favour of more promising ones.
“Donda” had a surprise release in Aug. 2021 after a series of high-profile public listening events and last minute delays. The album almost immediately set a new record by reaching No. 1 on Apple Music’s top albums chart in 152 countries in 24 hours. In its first full day of release, “Donda” was streamed over 60 million times in the United States.
In his review of “Donda,” Variety’s Chris Willman called the album “close to unassailable on a purely musical level” and “a collection that never comes close to wearing out its welcome, alternating the brooding and the banging with a well-honed sense of dynamics.”
- Ghanaians among dozens sentenced for their roles in Atlanta-based $30m fraud and money laundering operation
- Energy sector debt major contributor of Ghana’s debt unsustainability – World Bank Rep
- Ghana beat Nigeria in final to win inaugural WAFU B U-20 Girls’ Cup
- Former DCE for Nkwanta South laid to rest
- Let us commemorate June 4 Uprising with utmost respect and gratitude – Mahama
- Utah primary schools ban Bible for ‘vulgarity and violence’
- NPP flagbearer race: It will be difficult asking aspirants to sacrifice for another – Joseph Kpemka
- Labour unions request time to mull $2.7bn pension fund restructuring offer
- Ghanaians must speak up against corruption – MFWA
- Woman, 55, killed by hit-and-run driver on Asukawkaw-Dambai highway
- CEM Ability Village: Transforming lives of PWDs through a strategic and long-term solution
- Parents clash in Pride protest at US primary school
- Gender Ministry collaborates with DVLA to provide licenses for persons with disability
- Assin North by-election: NDC accuses NPP, EC of plotting to insert an unqualified candidate’s name in voters register
- Two police officers injured as ghetto boys escape with handcuffs during arrest at Gomoa Nyanyano
- Voltaian Basin Project is the hope of Nothern region and future of Ghana says Yaa Naa
- Civil Service honours Matthew Opoku Prempeh for his ‘outstanding leadership’
- NPA impounds 181,000 litres of crude oil and diesel in Western Region
- School Feeding Programme: Caterers’ arrears from third term of 2022 academic year to be paid next week – Gender Minister
- Government’s initiatives towards youth development ineffective – Dr Zanetor Rawlings
- Theresa Poku of OHU Farms celebrated at Women Icons event in Koforidua
- Messages with a sense of urgency for you to act often a scam – Fraud investigation specialist
- Daboya unrest: 49 suspects granted bail, others to appear in court on Monday
- ECOWAS Court awards 50m CFA against Burkina Faso for unlawful retirement of civil servant
- Playback: The Law discuss tips to avoid falling victim to cyber scams